6 replies to this topic

#1 prentonboy

prentonboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

I have not used Roots Magic 4 for some time, mainly because I have transferred my system from Windows PC to Apple Mac.

I do not want to lose the information in Roots Magic and I do not want to move from Roots Magic.

Is there a way I can transfer my Roots Magic and the files to Apple iMac. I understand that I may have to upgrade Roots Magic.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

You can do this!

Download and install RM7 for the Mac http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/

Copy the RM4 database (make sure to get all of the files - I think there were 33 or 34 of them) onto a USB drive, and transfer them to the Mac's hard drive.

Open RM7 and go to Tools - Program Options - Folders and set all 5 locations. Use the [...] buttons to navigate to the folders - it seems to work more reliably than typing them in on a Mac.

Go to File - Import - RM4 or later

Once your data has been imported, I'd recommend an immediate backup. This will preserve your data in the condition it was in while you were using RM4.

That's it - you're ready to go!

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

Version 4 has only one database file.

Version 3 is the last version that had more than one database file.

There is a video on installing RootsMagic 7 for Mac on YouTube, RootsMagic TV

#4 prentonboy

prentonboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies. Easier than I thought, hopefully.

First job is to watch the video.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:02 AM

You can do this!

Download and install RM7 for the Mac http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/

Copy the RM4 database (make sure to get all of the files - I think there were 33 or 34 of them) onto a USB drive, and transfer them to the Mac's hard drive.

Open RM7 and go to Tools - Program Options - Folders and set all 5 locations. Use the [...] buttons to navigate to the folders - it seems to work more reliably than typing them in on a Mac.

Go to File - Import - RM4 or later

Once your data has been imported, I'd recommend an immediate backup. This will preserve your data in the condition it was in while you were using RM4.

That's it - you're ready to go!

These directions are for RootsMagic 3 or earlier.  So it's File>Import>RootsMagic (version 1-3). Zhangrau just remembered it wrong.

Use File>Open in RootsMagic 7 and select the RootsMagic 4 database file. It will convert to the new file format and open. You cannot reopen it in RM4 afterwards to make sure you have a backup made before you convert it to RM7.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

Related situation...I currently am running RM4 on an aging Macbook Pro, using Windows 7 and Parallels. I'm having trouble with RM. It's slow, sometimes just stalls and even makes noise, like gears grinding.

I'd like to both upgrade to RM7 AND move my database from the precarious Macbook Pro to my newer MacAir, hopefully without the Windows/Parallels interface. Neither machine has a working CD drive (whether that matters or not).

Would my instructions be the same as for Prentonboy?

Eager to get back into RM!!

Thanks very much!

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

If your upgrading to RM7 then I would recommend giving RootsMagic for Mac a try. Your license key can be used on either the PC or Windows side.  Yes, you would use File>Open of your RM4 database to convert it to the new file format.

Renee
RootsMagic