• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dsherry

dsherry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Are there any existing reports that allow one to see which facts have been shared for people in my database? 

I could not see how to do that in Custom Reports either.

Thank you,

Dave

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8450 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

No, there isn't one. I am confirming this enhancement request is in our tracking system.

About the only way you could find them is to generate an Individual Summary report for everyone and save it as a RTF and then search by the Shared fact type and role.  For example: Birth-Witness to find all the witnesses to a birth.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 dsherry

dsherry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the response, Renee.  The Individual Summary/.rtf idea is a good one, but I was looking for something that would be able to point out cases where I had not added a shared fact.  In a columnar format, this would show more easily.

I have used the Death Fact report to identify where I have not placed the cause of death in the description field. (The report prints out the description field.)  I have been adding an Informant link in each of the records, but I have to check individually which ones still need to be added.  

Similarly it would be nice to print out lists of baptisms and marriages with godparents/witnesses included. Another idea I had was a survivors shared fact for obituaries.

I am just starting to experiment with shared facts,  There seem to be a lot of interesting ways to use them, especially if there were reports that lay them out in a productive fashion.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

If you want to track Sharees and their roles, you have to set it up for yourself.

You could create a user defined fact and link it to the Principle.

Create a custom report with the description and notes for that fact as fields. Filter the custom report with various search criteria.

Description would be the fact that was shared. The note would be the name of the person the fact is shared with and the role used for that person. The description and note are searchable.

You cwn print the details for a Master source. The person and Sharee role is printed in that report. The fact that is shared is not printed. You can't search the report unless you save the report to a text file and search the text.file.

The roles are not searchable in Select people or RootsMagic Explorer even though they are printed in the Source list report.

Be aware that other programs are most probably not going to import the shared fact for Sharees. Onky the fact for the Principle will be imported.

So don't share any fact where it is important that the data is imported for the Sharee in another program.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

Those of us who are adept with SQLite have put considerable effort into the shared fact questions, producing scripts that can answer questions such as yours, conversion of shared facts to unshared facts, etc. These are posted on the wiki linked from my signature line and here is a search query for pages tagged "shared events": http://sqlitetoolsfo...ag=shared event

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 dsherry

dsherry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:27 AM

Thanks very much, Laura and TomH.  Tom, the wiki link leads to a Wiki Not Found page.  I see the value in what you propose, Laura, but it would be great if the process to achieve the results were less cumbersome/more user-friendly.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:12 AM

Wiki link fixed. Thanks for reporting it. Wonder how long that has been the case.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

Thanks very much, Laura and TomH.  Tom, the wiki link leads to a Wiki Not Found page.  I see the value in what you propose, Laura, but it would be great if the process to achieve the results were less cumbersome/more user-friendly.

Don't go into using Shared facts without thinking hard about the disadvantages for doing so.

The disadvantages have not changed since Shared facts were introduced in Version 4. There is still no report of who facts are shared with, the Sharee's do not show up in searches and do not show up in reports except Family group sheets, Narrative and Individual summary. Sharee's do not show up as tags for media.

Other programs will not import the fact for Sharee's.

Base your decision on what is, not on what you wish it to be.

Personally, I did some time and work trials when Shared facts were first intoduced. About the only advantage in Shared facts I found was I didn't need to memorize and paste the source(s) or tag the media. And in some cases, I didn't need to customize the fact sentence to be printed in a Narrative report for the Sharee.

The disadvantages outweigh those advantages for me.