• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mfseeker

mfseeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

This is an old but simple problem. Perhaps RM 7 now has a solution. 

My tree has two branches. I want to share only one of them with a friend. I have spent hours trying to discover a way to do this that is not horrendously labour intensive and keeps all of the associated data for each person and family. 

I know about using colors or named groups, but that would take too many hours. Moreover, although we can color code all the ancestors of the root of a tree, we have no way of semi-automatically color coding all of the people in collateral lines who may be included in the branch of interest but are not ancestors of the root person.

Two approaches suggest themselves. Make a copy of my tree and delete the unwanted branch. Or, drag the wanted branch into a blank tree. I have tried both. Neither gives me everyone in the desired branch and no one else.

If RM can still not do this, is there perhaps a way to do what I want using an SQL manager?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5927 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Let's assume the two branches are the paternal line and th maternal line of some person. To create a group of the maternal branch, in the create group dialog, select the mother > Mark Group > ancestors and descendants of highlighted person with collateral lines. Then select the father > Unmark Group > ancestors of highlighted person. Then save the group. The result should be the maternal line and all her descendants. You can then export, drag'n'drop or colour code this group.

Flip mothrr and father in these instructions to create the other branch. 

Of course, if the two branches are conjoined more than once, this method will give incomplete results.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 mfseeker

mfseeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

This is a great start, but it doesn't get me all the way to my goal.

I can begin to create the desired group containing the ancestors of a root father by choosing the "Ancestors and all collateral lines" option when choosing "Ancestors of highlighted person". But when I then select "Unmark group", having highlighted the root mother, and choose "Ancestors of highlighted person" I cannot find an alternative among the offered Ancestor Options that will leave me with all the right people and only the right people in the root father's branch.

Selecting "Direct ancestors only" leaves many collateral people from the mother's side in the remaining selections.

Selecting "Ancestors and descendants of ancestors" with one descendant generation removes more of the mother's side people, but it also removes some of the desired father's side people.

And, of course, selecting "Ancestors and all collateral lines" removes everybody.

I clearly do not understand this well enough. I believe my branches are conjoined only once. What am I missing?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

Make a copy of your database and break some links between people in the copy of the database. You are making a copy of the database so you  can break some links without any adverse impact on your original database. When you are done exporting from the copy of your database, just delete the copy and your original database will be intact.

The obvious link to break is between the spouses who are causing the two branches to be conjoined. Then, export the "Ancestors and all collateral lines" for the spouse whoe branch you want to keep. You can color code these people or make a group out of them before exporting to make thing easier and to verify that you have made the correct choices, but you don't have to. You can do the choosing directly in the Export process. Personally, I would make a group and color code it to verify the results before exporting. You would break the links with Edit->Unlink.

If you want both spouses but not the parents and other relatives of the other spouse, the do the Edit->Unlink between the other spouse and his or her parents instead of between the spouses themselves.

This should work just fine as long as their are no other places where the family lines are conjoined. But even if it works, my experience suggests that you might be surprised at how many people are in the ancestors and collateral lines for the spouse whose branch you are keeping. Those collateral lines seem to keep going forever and ever.

Jerry

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

A good test to see if there are any other places where the lines are conjoined is the following. After breaking the lines apart with Edit->Unlink, color code the line you are keeping and see if any people in the other line are color coded.

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8036 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Try the Mark Group - Ancestors of highlighted person >Ancestors and descendants of ancestors

It will go up the tree and down the tree however many generations you select for both. So that means if you have 10 generations each it will stop at each level of ancestor say your 8th and still go down 10 generations from them. That really will get everyone on the line.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

That really will get everyone on the line.

That will get everybody on the line but not necessarily everybody in the tree. I think the only way to get everybody in the tree is my suggestion to make a copy of the database and therein to break the tree apart into two trees that hopefully are not conjoined somewhere else.

The best way to think about this is to consider the following two scenarios. You could try both scenarios in your live database because neither one of the scenarios is going to break anything.

1. Make a new group containing a person of your choice and a bunch of other people as well. Define the "bunch of other people" as follows. The process of making a new group will take you to the Select People dialog. Highlight the person of your choice and click Mark Group. Click on Everyone in the highlighted person's tree. A bunch of people will be marked. If you complete the process of making the group, all those people will be in your group.
  2. Make a new group containing a person of your choice and a bunch of other people as well. Define the "bunch of other people" as follows. The process of making a new group will take you to the Select People dialog. Highlight the person of your choice and click Mark Group. Click on Ancestors of Highlighted person. Choose the Ancestors and Descendants of Ancestors option and choose a really large number for both the generations of ancestors and the generations of descendants. A bunch of people will be marked. If you complete the process of making the group, all those people will be in your group.

The problem at this point is that scenario #1 typically will mark a much bigger bunch of people than will scenario #2. In particular, scenario #1 will pick collateral lines both for your person of choice and for the spouses of your person of choice. Scenario #2 will not get either collateral line. I think what is being asked for is secret Scenario #3 where you get all the collateral lines for your person of choice but not for the spouses of your person of choice. That's why I think that making a copy of your database and breaking some links in the copy is the only solution to the problem that is supported by RM.

Upon further review, there might seem to be another possibility. In particular, in Scenario #2 under the Ancestors of Highlighted person option there is a button to request Ancestors and all collateral lines. I think it's very, very close to what you want. Indeed, I think it has everybody you want and nobody else with the exception that it doesn't have the descendants of the person of choice and the collateral lines of the descendants. It's easy to do one more marking to get those descendants. Now, you are very, very, very close to what you want. The only problem would be if any of those descendants had spouses who had other spouses. The other spouses and their kin would not be included, and they and their kin would be included in my procedure of making a copy of the database and making a link. You would just have to evaluate on a case by case basis whether this simpler procedure is adequate.

As esoteric as this business of spouses of spouses and their kin may sound, I run into the problem all the time in preparing reports for family reunions where a family member's spouse had a previous marriage and had children from the previous marriage. Everybody at the reunion wants to see those children in the report.

Jerry