• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ewormuth

ewormuth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

I'm a new user of RootsMagic 7.  I have family trees on both Ancestry and MyHeritage, and they are a little different in some respects.  Can I pull a GEDCOM from each one and merge them somehow on RootsMagic 7?

I searched in the Help file and also on the forum and didn't find an answer, though I may not have been asking the right question.

Thanks.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

I'm a new user of RootsMagic 7.  I have family trees on both Ancestry and MyHeritage, and they are a little different in some respects.  Can I pull a GEDCOM from each one and merge them somehow on RootsMagic 7?

Firstly my answer needs to be a little theoretical as I am not a user of RM7.

I believe the new to RM7 feature 'Compare Files' may be of some use to you. If you pull both gedcoms into RM7 databases and then compare them the new feature will be of some help in resolving the differences. Rootsmagic also has a Smartmerge feature which may help resolve some of these differences automatically, either way these are the two terms to search for in the help file.

I am slightly guarded in my reply as I believe RM still has a lot to do here to assist users merge files and avoid duplication. If you watch the Whats new in Rootsmacic 7 video you will see the Compare Files feature explained around the 30 minute mark where Bruce states there is still much which is to be achieved in the future.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root