4 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

I had not made much, if any, use of the Backup with Media function because of its destruction of the original media paths by consolidating everything in the one folder when I had my own backup procedure that faithfully preserves the structure. I thought to try the RootsMagic function today because I was curious to know if it also backed up the 'Not a Match' file that is written when you do Duplicate Search Merge and mark pairs as "Not a match". It doesn't and I encountered other issues besides.

1. Backup with media provides no progress indicator, let alone even a "Please wait" message. The backup dialog closes and you are back to the main screen with which you cannot interact. Windows Task Manager reports that RootsMagic is "Not responding" and so one assumes the program is stuck and forces a shutdown because backup with media is so slow. RootsMagic may not have stopped - it may be working invisibly in the background. You can tell by inspecting the folder containing the database.rmgc file for a folder named "TempRMBackup". Inside this folder should be a copy of the database.rmgc file and a "Media" folder in which all the media files are being collected. This folder should continue to grow as files are added by the hidden process. If you inspect the latter, you will be startled by the names of the files, e.g., "2F6D960D2AC5C36036A32DD37B0E9351.jpg", one that you would never have assigned. Don't worry, File Restore will restore the media file names to what they were originally except it will add serial numbers for duplicate names for files that were originally in separate folders. The TempRMBackup folder is then compressed into the databasebackup.rmgb file and destroyed by RootsMagic's internal ZIP function. You can inspect the .rmgb file with a ZIP utility such as 7zip and see these cryptic file names. 
  2. Backup does not include the database.DUP file, the file containing all your "Not a match" pairs you have identified during Duplicate Search Merge operations. Consequently, Restore to another location will lose the "Not a match" flags that preclude these pairs from showing up in subsequent DSMs. I think it should be included in the basic backup and restore.
  3. Backup does not validate your backup filename. You can enter characters in the backup dialog for the name you want to give to the backup file and there is no validation; e.g., I unthinkingly added the time 10:45 to the automatic name. Not until after the system has gone through a long 'Not responding' process does it then attempt to create the .rmgb file from the TempRMBackup set only to have Windows return an error which is reported obtusely by RootsMagic as something like "backup encountered an error". It should screen the filename on data entry. 
  4. Restore is awfully slow. On my database, it takes tens of minutes yet 7zip can extract everything from the .rmgb file in 75 seconds. The difference is that Restore has to rename the files back to the original name from that cryptic hexadecimal name but that should be trivial. My guess is that the cryptic name is a hash of something, maybe nothing more than the record number of the file in the MultiMediaTable. But I see SQLite journal files being written throughout this long restore as though there is major database updating going on. Yet I cannot find in the database file that 7zip extracted from the backup anything that has changed from the original. There is something terribly inefficient in this process.

Good news is that if you do restore from a media-included backup and your original media files are still in the same place, the restored database still points to the original structure, not to the Media folder that Restore creates under the folder where the restored database is located. It is only when the original structure is missing that the media item is repointed to the Media subfolder. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

A further issue with restoring a backup with media is that repeating it to the same location results in each media file being replicated in the Media subfolder with a serial number in the name and the extension being duplicated, e.g.:

1st restore: Photo_0001.jpg
2nd restore: Photo_0001.jpg(2).jpg
3rd restore: Photo_0001.jpg(3).jpg

I am reasonably confident this is not what was intended nor what we would desire. I would think the desirable behaviour would be that of standard Windows which detects that there is a file of the same name and asks for direction on what to do: overwrite, skip, or make a new version and whether to apply the same decision to subsequent duplicates found  during the restoration. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

Those of us with comprehensively documented databases have thousands of media files, with a carefully constructed filenaming scheme, and the use of subfolders for organization. Since RM's backup program renames the files during backup, how is the user to know whether Photo_0001.jpg is the dame as Photo_0001.jpg(2).jpg ??????

I will continue to do my backups WITHOUT including media. The scenario described by TomH is just scary in it's unintended complications.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8450 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Confirming issues noted in tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 brishakar

brishakar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

So the multiple media names during restore is a problem still.  I was using the backup and restore options to move between my laptop and desktop.

Can this be looked into please.  A dialog asking what you would like done when a duplicate media name "As sugested by TomH above"  really needs to be implemented.  It wouldnt be hard to do...

Also how do I fix my DB now that all the media names are incorrect.  I really dont want to leave it as it is, with the .jpg(2).jpg .jpg(3).jpg etc.