3 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

I was looking at the Person options in the Sentence template language article in Help and noticed an option of :role, Role of Witness, which I had never paid any attention to.  This option is not new.  I found it in RM 4's Help.

Witness roles for Census:

Relationship of the head of household to the Witness roles:

Witness role:  father

[Thisperson] was listed in the household of his [Thisperson:role], [Person].< [Placedetails]>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

[Thisperson:role] works in this sentence because the role is specific, father.

Witness role:  Parent

<%Person% [Thisperson:HeShe] was listed as a <%son|daughter> in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] father, [Person]|[Thisperson:HeShe] was listed as a <%son|daughter> in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] mother, [Person:Given] [ThisPerson:Surname],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

This sentence prints a Gender switch to print whether [Person] is the father or mother.  It uses a nested Gender switch to print [Thisperson] is a son or daughter.

Since the role name is Parent, [Thisperson:role] will not work.  For the mother, you may need to Customize the sentence on the Edit person screen to change her surname to the one used in the census record.

Relationship of Witness roles to head of household:

Witness role: son

<%Person% [Thisperson:HeShe] was listed as a [Thisperson:role] in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] father, [Person]|[Thisperson:HeShe] was listed as a [Thisperson:role] in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] mother, [Person:Given] [ThisPerson:Surname],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

[Thisperson:role] works in this sentence because the role is specific, son.

#2 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

Very, very helpful, Laura. It's probably my age, but I find that these short tips/hints seem to sink in quicker and easier than using Help. Not to say that the Help feature of RM isn't great, but it can easily overwhelm the reader.

Thank you, TomD

It's been real... It's been fun...

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

Learning hkw to navigate and find things in Help is a hands on learning experience. The more you use Help, the more you will learn how to use it.

Learning how to write sentences is a hands on learning process. The more you experiment, the more you learn about it.

You need two articles in Help for reference.

Open Help and Search for Using sentence templates.

The first article on the list is Sentence template language.

Click on Display to bring up the article.

Click on Favorites and go to the bottom of the left pane and click on Add.

Click on Search.

Highlight the Using sentence templates article on the list and click on Display.

Save it to Favorites.

The next time you need the articles, go to Favorites to access them. Save any articles you access frequently to Favorites.

You can open Help from any screen in RM by pressing F1 and most of the time it will be on the article you need at the time. If you need further information, you can navigate to another article.

I tend to learn about RM features by experimentong hands on. I experiment with a feature in a Play database which is a renamed copy of my main database. If the database gets to messy, I can delete it and create another.

I will soon be 71. How old are you?

#4 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

I'll be 73 in January. Not nearly as quick as I once was -- WAIT, I never was quick. I guess I've just gotten slower. LOL

I made Favorites of both of those based on your original post. I appreciate the follow-up post. It made sure I knew what I was doing (that's questionable at times).

Thank you, Laura.  :)

TomD

It's been real... It's been fun...