Photo

One Custom Report used across multiple files??

custom report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dyancey1965

dyancey1965

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

Is there a way I can create a custom report in one datafile - and use the same custom report in all my other files?

(I dont mean the data) I mean the query / format etc.??

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

Iirc, no. You cannot copy a custom report spec from one database to another. If you could make a master shell empty database with your custom reports, you could drag'n'drop people from another database to a copy of the master and run the custom report.

Alternatively, if you have a non-empty database with multiple custom reports you woul like to use on people from another database, there is an old SQLite script that might work to empty the data from a copy of the first, thus making an empty master with custom reports with which you can then proceed as above. The script is at http://sqlitetoolsfo...Places, Sources- no guarantee...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

No, Custom report formats are database specific.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Custom reports and a Publisher settings template would be awesome additions to the File - Import Lists function....

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8446 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 dyancey1965

dyancey1965

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:51 PM

custom reports are great -  -  - but not being able to use them - except in the one database they were created in - seems to be a huge design flaw.

hope to see this on future editions.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8446 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

The reason the custom report wasn't designed to move between databases is because it may be using a custom fact type not used in the other database. It would require us to add that custom fact type to the other database at the same time. At least that looks like the way to solve the issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

custom reports are great -  -  - but not being able to use them - except in the one database they were created in - seems to be a huge design flaw.

hope to see this on future editions.

A design flaw of sorts, yes.

The bigger problem here is the fragmentation many users employ with 'my line', 'my wifes line' etc. and the reasons why. I believe users should be encouraged by RM and other genealogy programs to stop thinking in these small fragmented terms. Such thinking leads to many Place Source, Repository etc naming variations by the very nature of the data file fragmentation.

Rootsmagic should strive to be one of the first desktop programs to embrace the virtual database concept which has been called for over many many years by numerous users. The change to facilitate this is very easily achieved with a small database change, the benefits are obvious. Do any users out there believe Ancestry, Family Search or other research tools have several small databases? or are the entries simply tagged as being part of a particular collection? well it's close to being that simple but on a desktop application it can easily be.

Once implemented all these Reporting, Sentencing, Place, Place Detail, Source, Repository and other variations will become a thing of the past.

Oh, and there is no reason why a user cannot work with a subset of their total genealogy research just as if it was a small standalone file. The only thing missing here is vendor support for the concept, the ability to compare files before combining is still a much needed feature but should not be viewed as an encouragement to maintain many files. 

I believe comparing new files to a users CORE and making any new file compatible with the users MO should be a drive within all genealogy software. In addition a beefing up of the DSM feature to facilitate more efficient merging on larger databases is much needed ad in my opinion easily achieved.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

Rootsmagic should strive to be one of the first desktop programs to embrace the virtual database concept which has been called for over many many years by numerous users. The change to facilitate this is very easily achieved with a small database change, the benefits are obvious. Do any users out there believe Ancestry, Family Search or other research tools have several small databases? or are the entries simply tagged as being part of a particular collection? well it's close to being that simple but on a desktop application it can easily be..

The now defunct The Master Genealogist has a feature that sounds like it corresponds to your term "virtual database": "multiple data sets per project". The project comprises one set of database files (equivalent to one file in RootsMagic ) but each data set is a database.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.