• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

As I chose ok I realized Iwas SO wrong to have okayed the RootsMagic message... about continuing to use the same John....

David's father is John. Entered details. Realised his details were for David's BROTHER John and not their father.

So now David's brother and father have the same number and details.... (oh, and two more generations above that!)

So If I remove John the father - that will remove John the son (and the other Johns)

BUT will that delete the whole family down the line????? Please help? Chris

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:13 AM

It sounds like you have linked David to brother John as Father. David now has two Fathers, his brother and his real father. What you want to do is to unlink brother John from David as father; you do not need to delete anyone. Look up unlinking in the Help system for details.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

Watch Webinar #40.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

In the Family View display the incorrect family, with the father listed also as his son.

Right click on the child and select Unlink>From Parents.

Now you should be back to just the father listed correctly.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

One of my GEDCOM test files is the family history of Oedipus. Another is the Ptolemy dynasty. :blink:  One has a loop, the other is a straight line.    Works like a charm