• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:08 AM

I have inadvertently mixed up one Jane with the same number (?) with two sets of parents.

There SHOULD BE TWO Janes. One for each set of parents.

Her name is same as her father's sister... that's how I did it! AND both Jane's have as their father a William! Luckily the wives have different names!

If I go to Jane (born Edinburgh 1840): father William mother Jane/Jean - her number is the same but her details are correct.

If I go to Jane (born Australia 1842) the daughter of William and Mary - her number is the same and her details are correct 

If the numbers are the same I thought the details would have been the same... overwritten each other...

Should I create another Jane as a duplicate so I don't lose the details for either/both THEN how do I take the correct parents off lets say Jane (born in Edinburgh) BUT will that alter the other Jane?

Would love someone's help please? 

Chris

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:41 AM

If the birth facts (or any others) are different, then the two Janes cannot possibly have the same record number. You probably have the display option set to show the Reference Number after the name, not the Record Number, and you assigned them the same ref#. If I am right, then reassigning parents to one can have no effect on the other.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Tom. Yes rechecking today Jane HAS the same number BUT also has the SAME details.... might be easiest to delete one Jane and leave the Jane with correct details and parents and see if that fixes it. Thanks for quick reply Tom.

#4 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

Unfortunately removing one Jane removed both so I had to re-enter both and now have TWO Janes... with different parents. Luckily they had no children.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

If Jane has the same number, you need to unlink Jane from the wrong parents.

If you delete Jane, Jane will be removed from the database completely.

Sorry I didn't post in time. I got distracted and didn't hit the post button.

#6 RHungerschafer

RHungerschafer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

I have a similar problem where prople are linked to the same parents more than once or multiple set of similar parents which likely resulted from merging trees.  My question is, other that looking at each and every person is there a way to quickly identify people with thei situation so I can correct them.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

You can use the criterion "Number of sets of parents is greater than 1" in RootsMagic Explorer to Search Person List, or create a named group, or color code. Named group is probably the most effective because you can filter the Sidebar and/or People View on it and easily remove those who don't belong (e.g., having both birth and adoption parents) and those you fix. Once it is empty, you have finished.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:01 AM

For a straight-up report:

Reports->Lists->Individual List

Selected People->Everyone

Multiple parents - People with more than one set of parents

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

The Record Number is supposed to be unique within a database. I've never seen a case where two people have the same record number. I wouldn't think it possible. 

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

The Record Number is supposed to be unique within a database. I've never seen a case where two people have the same record number. I wouldn't think it possible. 

It's not possible, but it can give that the appearance of having happened if the same person is linked to the same spouse or to the same parents multiple times.

Jerry