22 replies to this topic

#1 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

Often when I try to access some forum topics on my Ein 10 computer, I get no response.  I don't know if it is a Win 10 problem or a browser problem. I do not have this problem with my XP computer.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6216 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

Both Internet Explorer 11 and the new Edge browser will not open links to the latest post. I have to use Chrome. Iirc, there is an update or setting for the forum software that can resolve this issue but Rootsmagic administrator has yet to implement.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:08 AM

I have had the same computer for a while, but lately it won't open RM Rorum posts properly. It works for about 4 posts, then stops opening. Usually I go out of the forum, look at something else, then go back when the remaining posts open normally. This has been going on for a couple of months. I use Windoes 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

Our forum software is up-to-date but development will look to see if there is a setting they are missing.

I'm actually have no problem at all on my Windows 10 computer using Chrome to access the forum posts. That said, I was having a problem with Chrome freezing whenever I opened a new tab. I had to disable the Chrome Flash plugin to stop it from happening. I also had to download Chrome Canary because the basic Chrome browser kept crashing on me. These issues were with every website and not just the RootsMagic forums. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:25 AM

The only problem that I have with the forums is that when I click on email links to replies in threads the computer now says

"Hmmmm ... We can't reach this page. Try this

Make sure you’ve got the right URL: http://forums.rootsmagic.com

MT ;)

Looking for Pashby, Bird, Sedman, Sutton and Dobson in Scarborough, UK

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

IE11 fails (for me):

-YES to the above (links in email notifications fail)
-AND resulting links from the Forum search (upper right corner) results

(it may be the findpost part of the URL parameters that is failing)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6216 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

You are probably using Internet Explorer which has problems with this Forum software on the RootsMagic site but not with the Forum for the Forum software itself, which suggests that it is a config error on the RootsMagic server. Been a problem for a long time. Not a problem with Chrome. Other browsers may vary.

That was over a year ago and it had been a longstanding problem then. The Invision Power Services forum is now on version 4 so I cannot reproduce the direct comparison I made then.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

I may have misdiagnosed the problem.   It now appears to be a problem with Firefox.  Using my Win 10 computer with Google Chrome, I was able to access the forum subject that I was interested in, whereas I could not with Firefox.  Of course, this was only a one time trial.  Time will tell if my conclusion is correct.

#9 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:25 AM

IE11 fails (for me):

-YES to the above (links in email notifications fail)
-AND resulting links from the Forum search (upper right corner) results

(it may be the findpost part of the URL parameters that is failing)

Actually, yes - I have BOTH of these issues too.

I'm using W10 with their built-in browser, The Edge.

Also noticed that in the link provided by email, such as this ...

http://forums.rootsm...view=getnewpost

... if I knock off the ?view=getnewpost extension then the forum will at least open up.

Something to ponder upon for the mods/tecchies?

MT ;)

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:23 AM

Forum search link example with banana as the search term:

http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/15183-date-formats-first-second-third/?view=findpost&p=71468&hl=banana 

This has all been reported before http://forums.rootsm...post-from-ie11/

The ?view=whateverforumfunction style of linking does not work in IE (and apparently Edge)

*AND actually*
some of the functions in the post & reply editor do not work when the switch icon is flipped to enable the fancy richtext capabilities
like:

- inability to paste text in some circumstances
- highlighting some text to create a URL link opens a dialog window that cannot be closed to return to the editing and thus the page must be refreshed and all your work lost
- etc. various and asunder other things

I'm thinking there's really been no investigation of these functionalities with the browser(s) in question.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:45 AM

Now that you mention it, yes - I've had problems with pasting text too.

And the page freezes when I try to type.

Occasionally hitting f5 or the refresh button on 'Edge' alleviates the problem, but it's far from certain.

I often have to re-start the site from scratch.

MT ;)

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

I was having all kinds of freezing problems with my browsers after upgrading to Windows 10. Did a speed test and it reported the correct upload and download speeds I was paying for. I thought I figured out it was the Flash plugin in Chrome as the issue, but it started up again freezing on me.

Finally, I figured it out it was Windows 10 default setting "Windows Update Delivery Optimization" (WUDO). It was taking my network bandwidth and sharing it with other Windows 10 users around the internet so they can receive Windows updates. I closed that down and my computer is back to its normal speed again. Not freezing my browser at all. They say its not suppose to be slowing your computer down because it uses idle time. When I'm on my computer I'm using the internet all the time, there is no idle time. The only one idling was me waiting for things to load. Try turning that feature off and see if things improve. 

http://thehackernews...-10-update.html

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the tip from hackernews, Renee; I've made the necessary alteration.

Now let's see if it makes this forum any easier to use ...

MT ;)

#14 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

Right - some good news, some bad ...

The good news is that it most definitely seems faster and I haven't managed to freeze a screen since making the change. :D

However ... I still get an error report when trying to click on latest posts in the 'submenu' for each forum, i.e. the RM6 subforum.

And I still can't paste text into a post. :(

MT ;)

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

I checked and I can copy paste just fine with Ctrl-V or Right-Click Paste in Chrome. In Edge only Right-Click-Paste work. I reported this to development. I thought I would pass along what he will be looking at when he has a chance.

The rich text editor dialog has to use javascript to function, and it may be that the way it binds the paste key shortcut doesn't work properly in some browsers.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

"In Edge only Right-Click-Paste work."

Correct.

MT ;)

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6216 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

The problem with Internet Explorer back to IE9 and with Edge and its Windows 8 predecessor being unable to open certain links goes back years. Compare this board's behaviour to that of RootsMagic's - both on IP.Board 3.4.7.

#18 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:51 PM

Concur that these failures are definitely NOT Windows 10 related.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#19 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:44 AM

I was having all kinds of freezing problems with my browsers after upgrading to Windows 10. Did a speed test and it reported the correct upload and download speeds I was paying for. I thought I figured out it was the Flash plugin in Chrome as the issue, but it started up again freezing on me.

Finally, I figured it out it was Windows 10 default setting "Windows Update Delivery Optimization" (WUDO). It was taking my network bandwidth and sharing it with other Windows 10 users around the internet so they can receive Windows updates. I closed that down and my computer is back to its normal speed again. Not freezing my browser at all. They say its not suppose to be slowing your computer down because it uses idle time. When I'm on my computer I'm using the internet all the time, there is no idle time. The only one idling was me waiting for things to load. Try turning that feature off and see if things improve. 

http://thehackernews...-10-update.html

Now then.

Did this yesterday and all seems to be going well.

However ... does this mean that I now have to manually install any updates from MS?

The reason why I ask is that I have just had a notification that there are updates to install but the system can't do it without my permission.

I've never had this before.

Oh, and another tiny issue!
The 'quote' button never works first time; I have to go back to the relevant post and click the button a second time before it appears in my reply.

Not a major issue, I know, but nevertheless it's another glitch that simply shouldn't be there.

MT ;)

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

The setting the articles said to turn off was for sharing your network bandwidth "Windows Update Delivery Optimization" (WUDO) allowing others to download Windows 10 updates from your network. It's another setting that will automatically update Windows for you.

Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update >Advanced Options - select Automatic

Renee
RootsMagic