#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

Hi there, hoping someone can help me.

I have 'Rootsmagic 5', I'm just busy changing my paper filing system from folders to hanging files using a colour system I found on the internet. (I do like to keep physical files as well as on the database)

I can print a 5 generation colour coded chart no problem, so I have 4 different colours, but the next thing it wants me to do is to print pedigree charts for each separate family name, so if my name were for example, 'Smith' and I am colour coded red on the database, then all those ancestors that would be in red, and so on in the other colours.

I haven't got a clue how to do this, or if indeed it can be done in Roots magic, but I would be most grateful if someone could help me out, I'm no expert with 'Rootsmagic' so if there is a way it can be done, can you give me 'idiots instructions'. this old head of mine couldn't cope with too much technical stuff LOL

Here's hoping, many thanks,

Jacrista

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

Highlight yourself on a main view.

Type Ctrl+c or go to Tools, Color Code people.

Choose the color from the drop down menu.

Click on Ancestors of highlighted person.

Click OK.

There are 14 colors to choose from + Black.

There is a YouTube, RootsMagicTV video, Color Coding People in RootsMagic.

#3 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

Thank you for your reply Laura, I can understand what you are telling me to do, but will this allow me to print out a 'Pedigree Chart' for just one family line in that family's colour?

Jacrista

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

No, you can't choose to print out just one family line in a Pedigree chart if all ancestors are linked to a person.

You could color code each different ancestor surname a different color.  Drag and drop into a new database filtering by color coding.  Drag and drop one color at time also marking yourself for each drop.  Finish the drop for one color before dropping the next color.

The object is to have multiple records for yourself with the ancestors being one surname only for each instance of yourself.  Then, print a separate Pedigree chart for each line.

Color coding:

If you want your ancestors with the surname of Smith color coded Red, the simplest way is to highlight yourself on the Pedigree view.

Highlight each Smith surname ancester in turn and color code each as Red.  Repeat with different colors for other surname ancestors.

You can filter Color coding for each color and each ancestor surname.  On the Color coding screen, choose People selected from a list instead of Ancestors of current person.

On the Select people screen, you can highlight yourself in the list.  Choose Mark group, Ancestors of highlighted person.

Select the number of generations of Ancestors and Direct ancestors only.

This marks all your direct ancestors.

Unmark yourself.

Click on Unmark group,  Clear people by data fields.

Filter by, Surname, does not contain, Smith

This unmarks any of your ancestor surnames that are not Smilh.

Repeat for each surname.

Be careful though, I have two lines of Smith ancestors that I have not managed to link together.  So, I would pick the nearest ancestor to me for each line and mark their ancestors to color code the two lines different colors.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Going the other way might be acceptable and more compact than a Pedigree chart and you can print the report in your main database.

Do the color coding of ancestor surnames.

Go to Reports, Lists, Descendant list.

Choose Direct line descendants from the List type menu.

Choose the your beginning of the line ancestor with the surname Smith as the Start person and yourself as Descendant.

Choose the data to include in the report from the Format list menu.  Choose the Numbering style.

Uncheck Print spouse.

Check Color coding.

If you created each Descendants report in one Publisher file, you could print all the reports at once.

#6 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

Oh gosh, I'm going to have to keep reading this to try and digest it all, sounds a bit scary LOL thank you so much for helping me, I very much appreciate it, I will reply again in this post and let you know how I get on, thanks Laura.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

I Googled color coded genealogy files

The first link takes me to this site:
http://genealogybyba...etting-started/

The second takes  me to the Mary V. L. Hill site:

http://www.genrootsorganizer.com/

Both sites are on using Mary Hill's filing system.

Is this the color code filing system you are using?

If so, use the Pedigree view with yourself as the focus person.  Set the slider on 5.

Color code yourself as Blue.

Highlight your father. Color code his ancestors as Blue using the Ancestors of current person.

Highlight your paternal grandmother.  Color code her ancestors green.

Color code your paternal grandmother Blue again.

Highlight your mother.  Color code her ancestors Red.

Highlight your maternal grandmother.  Color code her ancestors Yellow.

Color code your maternal grandmother Red again.

For my two Smith lines, one will be Blue and one will be Yellow. This is easy to see in my Group of my ancestors.

For Step 7, printing 16 Pedigree charts and puting one in each folder with the same surname highlighted.  I can't see why I would need to have a Pedigree chart with just that surname. I find it pretty easy to see the same surname lines on a pedigree chart especially one for just 5 generations.

I don't like the idea of adding 16 extra Pedigree charts to the files.  More paper to file and copies to maintain as changes are made and takes up filing space in the container.  I would already have the master Pedigree chart in it's own folder as the first file in the container to refer to.

For Step 7, I would use the Descendant list, Direct line descendancy, report with spouses marked instead of a Pedigree chart if I were going to add a Pedigree chart

The directions say to put data until married with the father and data after married in the couple's folder.  Printing the spouses will tell me which folders to look in for married records.

I can't see using Family Group Sheets either.  Too much paper. I would print Narrative reports with Index.

I can see that I would want a separate Publisher file for each paper folder.  Then, I could reprint the reports to go into the paper file for that person or couple from Publisher when I added or changed data to their record.

I can also see having my database open to help me figure out where to file paper in the paper files.

My goal is to get rid of paper I have to file and maintain, not add to it.  I would rather use the time that I would spend printing and filing paper in doing research.

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:33 AM

Also remember that if you color code ancestors in on branch as one color and then color code ancestors in another branch as a different color, the last color wipes out the first color if the two ancestral lines have common links.

#9 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hi again Laura,

first I want to thank you for all your help, I've read over your posts several times to digest.

I've followed your instructions (3rd Oct) but I'm obviously doing something wrong as the only people I get on the list is myself and my father, I have me as descendant as  you said and I thought my Dad would be the beginning of the line but then the list only shows me and him so I don't really know who to put there, sorry, I'm not very good at this. 

It is the system I'm using that you linked, but I'm tweaking it a bit to suit myself, I agree with you about not needing all the pedigree charts in each file, this is one of the tweaks, LOL

The publisher you mention, sorry, haven't got a clue how to use that, never even been into it until today so wouldn't know where to start.

But having spent the last couple of weeks starting to get this system in place I can already see that it's going to be much better than having my 'stuff' in binders, much easier to get at and more methodical, so things are beginning to look good.

I'll go and have another go at your instructions, I don't hold out much hope though LOL

Jacrista

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

If you are using Select people, Ancestors of highlighted person to color code ancestors, you also need to choose the number of generations of ancestors you want.

Beginning of line ancestor to me is the first ancestor I have that starts thst line. It is the furtherest ancestor that has no parents and descendants down to me.

There is a video on YouTube, RootsMagicTV on using Publisher.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Copy your main database and name the copy Play.

Experiment with color coding and other features in the Play database.

Once you know what you want to do and how to do it, implement it in your main database.

If the Play database gets too messy you can always delete it and create a new Play database.