Photo

Child added twice. How to remove only duplicate?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JeriP

JeriP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

If I remove one - will the other and all of the associated information remain in place? Thanks.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

Merge them.
Highlight one of them onscreen (as the Primary person)
Goto Tools->Merge->Manual Merge
Select the other (as Duplicate person) from RootsMagic Explorer.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 JeriP

JeriP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

Thank you so much for responding but I am getting a message that says, "The primary and the duplicate records cannot be the same record." They are the same and I am at fault because I added one daughter twice. I am afraid that if I delete the second entry it will delete all of the related information even though the same person remains listed as a child on a previous line. Should I worry?

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:22 AM

If they have the same Record ID as indicated by your error message, then:

In the Family tab, with the duplicates as children of their parents:

Highlight one of the duplicated children and then do:

Edit->Unlink->From Parents

Now you'll have to link that child to its parents only once instead of twice

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

When you unlink the child from the parents it should remove both links at the same time. So you will need to use Add>Child>Select Existing Person to put them back.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

When you unlink the child from the parents it should remove both links at the same time. So you will need to use Add>Child>Select Existing Person to put them back.

Several experiments seem to prove that Renee is correct. I would have sworn on a thousand bibles that unlinking would only undo one of the links and not both. I feel confident that I have done it that way before. Yet, Renee is demonstrably correct. Has the behavior changed, or (more likely) am I incorrect about how the behavior has always worked?

In any case, it seem to me to be much more useful to get rid of only one link at a time than to remove both links at the same time.

Jerry

#7 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Several experiments seem to prove that Renee is correct. I would have sworn on a thousand bibles that unlinking would only undo one of the links and not both. I feel confident that I have done it that way before. Yet, Renee is demonstrably correct. Has the behavior changed, or (more likely) am I incorrect about how the behavior has always worked?

In any case, it seem to me to be much more useful to get rid of only one link at a time than to remove both links at the same time.

Jerry

Jerry,

I'm going to join you at the "Cuckoo's Nest" as soon as I finish typing this note. I'm positive (I guess not) that I used the unlink feature less than 2 weeks ago and it only unlinked one of the links. "Strange Days." Have we just returned from a "Magical Mystery Tour" or have we gotten stuck in the "Twilight Zone?" Hm-m-m-m

TomD

It's been real... It's been fun...

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

This behavior has at least been around since RootsMagic 4. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

This behavior has at least been around since RootsMagic 4. 

Could it be changed to one link at a time? That would be much more useful.

Jerry

#10 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

Renee.....this is the way I have always done it to remove a double entry.