5 replies to this topic

#1 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

I don't know if I'm asking for the impossible, but it seems to me that the providing the ability to generate a source template from a pick list would greatly simplify the learning curve for users.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

Go to Lists,  Source list, Add new source.

Navigate to the Source template you want to use.  Scroll down the pick list or start typing the source template name or use the search.

Highlight the source template and click on the Star on the Toolbar.  It is between the search box and the Favorites dropdown menu.

This puts that source template on the Favorites dropdown menu.

The next time you wish to use that source you can choose it from the Favorites menu.

Or, you can create a  new Master source and name it, *Template [source name].

The next time you want to uae the template, copy the template source and use the copy to create the new Master source.

To learn how to create your own user defined source template, copy a program defined source template.  Play with making changes to the copy.  

Experiment from making the user defined source template to using it to Create a Master source to linking the Master source to a fact and filling in the Source details to checking how the source prints in reports.

I would do this in a Play database not my main database.

#3 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

I guess I was not exceedingly clear in my request.

Yes, Rootsmagic provides a picklist to select an template.  

Rootsmagic does not provide a picklist to create a new template.  

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Go to Lists, Source templates.

Click on Add to compose a user defined source template from scratch.

Name the different fields as any name you choose, select field type, enter any hints you wish and select whether that field will be a Source detail field.

In the sentence, enclose the fields in square brackets.

Enclose the field and anything you want to print with that field if there is an entrie in the field between < >.

Anything not between < >, with a field, always prints.

To modify an existing program defined template, highlight that template and copy it.

You have now created a user defined source template that you can modify anyway you wish and use instead of the program defined template.

Actually creating a user defined source template is not the hard part. It is the prep work of deciding what fields we need and how we want the sentence to print that takes the brain power. And, RM can't help with that unless we are modifying a program defined fact where at least part of that prep work has been done for us.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5996 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

I wonder if what you mean by a pick list is a list of all the defined fields for all templates from which you can select the few to be used in the new template under construction. And then in the sentence constructor, a pick list of all the chosen field names from which you select to populate the sentence.

Its a nice idea but would require a major redesign of the system. Currently, each template has arbitrary fields independent of other templates.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

I wonder if what you mean by a pick list is a list of all the defined fields for all templates from which you can select the few ....

I also suspect that something like this is the intent of the wish - with the "pick list" items being something like the name of the author, the publication date, the name of the publication or the name of online database, the date an online source is viewed, etc. I agree that the list of potential fields is too large and too diverse to make this seem very practical.

Jerry