• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobm245s

bobm245s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

My dad uses RootsMagic 6 and he wants to have ahnentafel numbers appear in his pedigree chart display beside the name.  I had suggested we print them out on a report, then manually enter them as a prefix or suffix for each person in his database.  But he says that sounds like too much work, and he is afraid of errors.  He wants it so the software generates the number automatically.

Does anyone know a way to do this?  Is there any other software that can work with RM to do this?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

If the Ahnentafal numbers start with the same person at the root of the pedigree chart, why bother? The numbers are a non-graphical method of conveying the relationship of others to the root.

If you can find a program that does produce this style of report and, if it supports GEDCOM, then you can export from RootsMagic and import into the other program to generate the chart. The other program would generate the Ahnentafals.

I thought I had written a SQLite query to produce 64-bit Ahnentafals but cannot locate it at the moment. Edit: found it at http://sqlitetoolsfo... 64 generations

Edited by TomH, 19 September 2015 - 12:48 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8333 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

You could use the Reference Number fact to add the Ahnentafel numbers. Print the Ahnentafel report to get the right numbers to use. Then under Tools>File Options>General>Number to display after name - switch to the Reference Number (REFN). It will appear in the pedigree chart right after their name. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:05 PM

But that would only work for the one person  you started with.  I you wanted a chart starting wth an ancestor of that one person, all of the numbers would be off.