6 replies to this topic

#1 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

I know in the past their has been lots of discussion on this subject.  I am wondering if with Version 7 if there has been a change?? 

We recently moved, so I am just getting back to the genealogy.

I have a large number baptisms (early New England, Scotland, etc) and it is frustrating when all I get is birth of children in Timeline and Family View.  While researching, it is annoying to have to click on person to see if the information is there.  It would be great to see both birth & baptism's in the those views.  In Timeline it doesn't even show the child that has only a baptism date.

It would be extremely helpful if Family & Timeline view were user defined.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Instead of the baptism fact you would need to record it with the Christen fact. Then it will be treated as a replacement for a birth fact when it doesn't exist. You could edit the sentence template for the Christen fact to call it baptism so it prints the same in reports for you.

To change your fact type open the Edit Person screen.

Highlight the baptism fact and click the Options button.

Select "Change fact type"

Highlight the Christen fact and click Select

You will now see the Christen fact listed on the Timeline and Family Views.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

Instead of the baptism fact you would need to record it with the Christen fact. Then it will be treated as a replacement for a birth fact when it doesn't exist. You could edit the sentence template for the Christen fact to call it baptism so it prints the same in reports for you.

To change your fact type open the Edit Person screen.

Highlight the baptism fact and click the Options button.

Select "Change fact type"

Highlight the Christen fact and click Select

You will now see the Christen fact listed on the Timeline and Family Views.

I am sorry that Rootsmagic is not addressing this issue.  I understand why the Christening is listed as to interface with LDS temple work [I am LDS].  But even on the FamilySearch.org Get Satisfaction discussions, there has been much discussion of the issue.

Unfortunately there is a difference between a christening and a baptism.  Some of the baptism's are adult baptism's not infant, so a christening is a totally inappropriate fact.  And with some many baptisms listed trying to go back into my large database and change each would be very tedious.

Hoping in the future that Rootsmagic will give us the user defined option of listing baptism on the Family or Timeline view.

Thanks

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

We don't see it as an issue. Replacing the birth fact with a Christen fact has been around for a very long time in genealogy software programs. Christening fact also don't interface with LDS temple work, so that not a connection either. It's just been a standard for the replacement of a birth fact for a very long time. Even looking at old family group sheets you will see Christen listed along with birth.

To fix this you could create a GEDCOM of your database and open it with simple text editor like Notepad. Replace all the 1 BAPM with 1 CHR. Then import into a new blank database.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

We've been around this bush before. My database probably has over a thousand infant baptisms and not a single "christening". I do resent other people making decisions, based on their religious beliefs, as to the meaning of words used in my faith and the faiths of my ancestors. However, I've decided I just have to live with the situation. Here's what I've done. Since the "Christen" fact has a defined behavior, I just went into the sentence template for "Christen" and changed it to:

Sentence template: [person] was baptized (infant)< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

And then stopped worrying about it.

#6 craigg

craigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

Why couldn't there be a check box on the Baptism fact that says use this date (Baptism date) if there is not a birth date.
This would give the same use of Baptism date on a individual fact basis for birth date as is automatically done for Christen date. And everything would work as currently if the box is not checked, but would give those who use Baptism the same facility as those that use Christen to use as a substitute date for Birth date.

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

Why couldn't there be a check box on the Baptism fact that says use this date (Baptism date) if there is not a birth date.

That would work for me. Particularly if it were on an event by event basis. But it is what it is. Like it or not, this is pretty much an "industry standard". The people who set up the GEDCOM standard defined the terms they way they thought was right.