10 replies to this topic

#1 fitz

fitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:54 AM

Is there a way to add a spouse to people list, as that is something I usually look for when I have several people with same name?  Thank you.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

No, there isn't.

If I know the name of the spouse and it is not a common name, I start with the spouse.

Put the Sidebar on Family, then you can see the spouses, children, parents and siblings of the person highlighted in the main view.

Or, navigate to the same named persons in the Sidebar index. Highlight one of the same named persons and switch between main views as needed to determine if that is the person you are looking for.

Or, navigate to the people with the same name in RootsMagic Explorer, Check the highlighted person's facts, spouses, children, parents, and siblings in the right pane.

I added an Alternate name fact to every same name person in my database. I added an identifier(s) in the Suffix. The identifier(s) is whatever will tell me who that person is.

[pt=Samuel Doe & Mary Smith] parents
[w=Elizabeth Brown] wife or wives
[ch=James, Adeline, Samuel] children
[sb=Jack, Troy, Rachel] siblings
[of Independence Co., AR] residence
[AR, TX, CA] migration

I may have multiple identifiers in the Suffix.

I mark the fact as Private.

Sometimes I have to look further, but, most if the time I can pick the right person. In the long run, this has saved me much more time than it took to do the original entry.

#3 fitz

fitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:18 AM

Yes I look for spouse first sometimes.  I am trying to avoid clicking individually on people with same name.  Having the spouse's name on list of people makes it so easy.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

Go to Search, Family list. Navagate to the same named persons if you don't have one of thos persons highlighted on the main screen. You will have a compact list of the same name persons and their spouses and marriage dates in the left pane which is a easy scan for the spouse with less eye travel.

Father, Mother and Children with record numbers are in the right pane for the marriage highlighted on the list if you find you also need to see the children or record numbers.

Double click on the person to make them the focus person on the main screen.

The Family list screen can be resized and moved around the screen to show the main screen below.

The People view doesn't show multiples of the same fact. It probably would not show multiple linked spouses either.

I have an Individual user defined fact, Spouses, that I added for another purpose but it works well in the People view. I enter all the spouses of a person into the description field.

#5 fitz

fitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:36 AM

I still have to go to each person individually which is what I am trying to avoid.  I have 79 John Parkers and it is much easier to have the spouses listed on one screen.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

You have two choices for the People view.

Add an Alternate name fact with the spouses names and or other identifiers in the Suffix.

Or, add an Individual user defined fact with the spouses names in the description.

I do both since the Alternate name shows in the Indexes and the user defined fact doesn't.

#7 fitz

fitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Thanks but I have 300,000 names this would not be feasible.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

Then use the Family list where all of the 79 John Parkers that have linked spouses will be in one list showing the spouse and marriage date.

You won't even have to scroll down that list as far as you would if the spouses were in People view as the list is more compact.

If I had 79 John Parkers to pick from, I would create a Group and print an Individual report filtered by the group. Then, I would not only have the spouses, but, the parents, children, and other facts in one place depending on which boxes I check.

Nothing says you have to add the alternate name fact or user defined fact for everyone in your database.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

Nothing says you have to add the alternate name fact or user defined fact for everyone in your database.

It is possible to do so with a custom outboard SQLite script.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

Would that script add the nzme of each person and the spouse of each person to the Suffix field or just link an Alternate name fact?

Would it add the spouse's name to the description field of the fact or just link the fact?

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

Any of those things are possible, Laura, within the constraints of the database system structural design and the outputs RootsMagic can generate from it. I didn't say that I have such a script but I have developed ones that add a fact to a group or to everyone as in Copy Fact to Group and in Copy RIN to REFN. A possible building block for such a script is Multiple Spouses query; only those persons with one or more spouses are to be operated on until all spouses are accounted for in the Suffix or Alternate Name(s) or custom Spouses fact.

:rolleyes: Looking up these related examples, I discovered that I had already developed Names - Add Married which adds an Alternate Name fact of type Married to every wife lacking such a fact. It probably would not be huge to adapt it to handle husbands in some fashion.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.