Photo

Create a group based on description field contains...

Group

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

I'm sure this must be somewhere on the forum, but to date my searches have only resulted in assorted posts saying, in effect, put xyz in your description field, and you can create a group using the mark group, select by data fields option and the code you've entered in your description field.

Trouble is I cannot spot the option to filter a fact type by the contents of a description field.

Admittedly I'm using a custom fact type, which has description enabled, but am only presented with pull down options for date/place/place details/value/note/source/age/exists - which is the same list of options for the standard Birth/Death facts.

all of which I've tried to no effect, the more likely ones with and without quotes around the text contained.

"Value" did mark three, wrong, people, all others returned nil results, as I expected, given none looked to be the description field with my code is.

So can some kind soul explain what I'm missing in RM?

Do I have to use SQLite instead?

Which seems a little silly given the search facility exists, mostly

And for my benefit, what is "Value" on this search by data fields?

Lorna

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

Value searches the description field.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

If your code is unique to your custom fact Description field, your Mark Group or search criterion could be:
Any fact > Value > Contains > xyz

Set the search to be case-insensitive to capture possible variations.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

>>Value searches the description field.<<

So why not call it Description?

And if it says so in Help, I missed that.

Thank you both.

Correcting a typo got me one result instead of 4 for my test.

So the question changes to how do I get it to also pick up those the fact is shared with and not just the primary person!

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

So why not call it Description?

So the question changes to how do I get it to also pick up those the fact is shared with and not just the primary person!

I've also wondered why Description is called Value instead of Description when doing searches. Experience suggests that RM will not "correct" this problem for fear of further confusing the situation.

On the shared facts question, I don't know why searches do not show up for shared facts. I would only suggest that there are many aspects of shared facts in RM where the behavior of shared facts is very different than the behavior of real facts.

Jerry

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

I think "Value" may stem from GEDCOM in which many of the facts have provision for a value after the tag name.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.