• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PWL1951

PWL1951

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:50 AM

I recently lost everything on my laptop and had to do a complete recovery.

I have now re-downloaded RM6 using my product key. 

How can I recover the information which I had previously entered onto my RM6?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

If your "complete recovery" was able to reconstitute your data files, then browse or search for files having the extension .rmgc. These are RM database files. Failing thar, look for .rmgb files which are backups from which you can restore the database files.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 PWL1951

PWL1951

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

Sorry TomH.

I should have said that I recovered my laptop but lost "everything" on it, therefore had to re-install RM6. 

No files were recovered on the laptop.

Just wondered if RM would have my files stored somewhere that I could recover or would I have to start all over again?

I had used back-up before but all this was lost when my laptop went down. Never saved to external disc.

Will I now have to upgrade to RM7 as well?

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

What about your backup files on external media such as CD's, DVD's, or flash drives?  But you actually answered that question. Or Dropbox, but I don't use that.  Or did you ever e-mail a copy of your database to relatives?

I just put a 32 GB flash drive with all of my genealogy files, Word files, Excel files, and photos in my safety deposit box.  I have a second box in another town, and I should store a second backup there for diversity in location. 

Upgrading to RM7 would be your choice.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

You don't HAVE to upgrade
BUT you DO have to start over with your data entry ;(

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 PWL1951

PWL1951

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Thank you both for the informative suggestions.

I will now enter my family details (again) and in future will save to an external device.