5 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Packard

Ron Packard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

Dear experienced users:

After using RM for a few years with my Italian genealogy, I want to better organize the media files, particularly renaming the files names (not just the captions) to create better consistence and organization. But there does not seem to be a way to change the file names within RM so that it recognizes the change. If I change the names on the hard drive, then the linking is lost. The tool to fix broken media links is of no assistance since it assumes that the file name is the same and merely looks within the hard drive for the same name, but at a different location, All the Abode products (Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, etc.) use linking a great deal, and they get around this problem by allowing the change of the file name to take place within the program, so that it recognizes the new name. Maybe that feature, however, is just too advanced for RM.

Before I give up, I thought of asking this community. Am I missing something? Is this already a feature that I just haven't found? Doing this otherwise will be a real pain. :(  Ideas?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

Highlight the media file in the Media Gallery or a Media Album.

Check on Properties. Click on Change media file in the bottom left of the screen.  This opens Windiws Explorer.

Navigate to an already changed file name or change the file name or move the file.

With the file highlighted, click Open.

Close the Properties screen and reopen it to refresh the Properties screen.

Close and reopen the Media Gallery or Media Album to refresh the left pane list.

Repeat for the next media file.

If you have moved files outside of RM, you can open the Media Gallery and choose Tools, Fix broken media links.  RM will correct the paths to the new paths for files which have been moved.

RM will not detect that a file name has been changed, so move files and run Fix broken media linjs first.  Then, change each file name from within the Change media file screen from within RM.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

After using RM for a few years with my Italian genealogy, I want to better organize the media files, particularly renaming the files names (not just the captions) to create better consistence and organization. But there does not seem to be a way to change the file names within RM so that it recognizes the change.

A good file naming system will pay benefits in the future so a good move on your part and I would advise thinking your system through carefully.

Right click functionality providing "Rename" and things like "Open With" within Media Gallery have been wished for before, so far they have not come about so we must hope for the next version. I also use Lightroom and other programs a lot with ever growing media collections and whilst I would not expect RM to replace the uses of those programs I would like to see Media Gallery made a bit more useful on the basic stuff which can be easily achieved.

I would also like to see the functionality of RM Media Gallery comments being read/written to the exif data of the file itself to facilitate other program operations.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Mike Morrell

Mike Morrell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

I have the same problem. I'm a RM7 newbie and my first impressions are really good. I intend to migrate from FTM 2014 to RM7. But it seems that I first have to do any file renaming (based on people/records) using FTM before importing the files to RM7. I would have preferred that RM7 had a similar (FTM) function to rename files from within the program.

Mke

#5 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

As an IT person, Library Professional and Database Designer I regularly teach people about file naming conventions and data locations, I also implement these type of things in professional environments.

I advocate for a system that does not require the names of the file to mean anything, leaving the cataloging of the file to applications that understand how to manage data rather than the user doing it themselves.

Let me explain. 

For pictures I have software that manages the location, file name and metadata of each image.  I also do the same thing for PDF, Documents and other items.

Management software controls all aspects of the file so that location and filename do not matter and once set changing the location (short of placing it on a new server) or name of the file is never done again.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root