• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LoisElaine

LoisElaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

On Roots Magic screen listing parents or spouses, why are there listed many and I can't merge them so that the person only has one set of parents or spouse.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

If you see many parents and spouses and want to merge them, the inference is that these are duplicate persons. Check and see if the duplicates have the same record number. You can merge persons having different record numbers. Duplicate parent or spouse having the same record number means that the same person has been linked more than once as a parent or spouse and you need to unlink the redundant links. Look up Help on "unlinking".

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Kendall Lougheed

Kendall Lougheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

I have the same problem.  I tried every database utilities, etc and I am still finding corrupted records that I cannot fix. I see duplicate records, fractional duplicate records (notes that have replaced dates). and error messaging that say the date logic is wrong (even when it is right and the same).  I do not know if my database is getting too large ( about 4,500 names, 5,000 events, 1800 families.  I have never had one flaw since quite a few versions ago.

Yikes.

Using RM 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 (latest updates). 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Kendall, your database is not unusually large and its size has nothing to do with the problems you see.More likely is that you have imported quasi-duplicate records from some other program and/or source with the discrepancies you see and are now faced with correcting them and eliminating duplicates. Perhaps you can review your backups to find when you had a cleaner database. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.