3 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

As I have mentioned before, I'm beginning to use shared facts for the very limited purpose of listing marriages in timeline order in narrative reports. This is accomplished by sharing the marriage fact with each of the spouses with a new role called Spouse. For the purpose of listing marriages in timeline order in narrative reports, the fact that shared facts don't export to third party software is more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

My sentence template for the standard (unshared) marriage fact continues to use the tag [Couple] to refer to the couple who were married. My sentence template for the shared version of the marriage fact uses the tag [Spouse] instead. The idea is that if John Doe marries Jane Smith, the shared version of the marriage fact for John Doe will say that he married Jane Smith and the shared version of the marriage fact for Jane Smith will say that she married John Doe. My shared sentence template for John Doe works perfectly and says that he married Jane Smith. But my shared sentence template for Jane Smith says that she married Jane Smith.

Originally, I created both shared facts while editing the marriage fact from the Edit Person Screen for John Doe. On a lark, I deleted the shared marriage fact for Jane Smith and shared it again from the Edit Person Screen for Jane Smith. This made no difference.

A workaround for the problem is to replace the tag [Spouse] in Jane Smith's shared marriage sentence template with the string "John Doe" without the quotes. It works just fine, but it seems to me that there is a real bug and that the workaround should not be required.

One thing that I was worried about with the workaround is that it does not create an XE entry in the RTF file to assure that the page with the shared marriage fact is indexed when the narrative report is printed with Microsoft Word. It's not likely to be a problem because John Doe is very likely to appear with other XE entries on the same page. But it turns out that even if the [Spouse] tag had worked correctly, there is no XE entry produced anyway. I think not producing the XE entry in this case is a bug, but again it's extremely unlikely to manifest itself because the person is very likely to appear with other XE entries on the same page anyway.

Jerry

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

My marriage fact is shared with each spouse using a Spouse role.

My sentence for the Marriage role, Spouse, is:

<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]> married< [desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]>'s marriage date and place are not known>.

The Gender switches using [Husband or [Wife] tells which spouse name to print depending on the sex of the person the fact is shared with.

My sentence prints the husband's name first for a male and the wife's name first for the female.

In this case, the Spouse role sentence is the same as the marriage Principal sentence without any changes.

This also works for other Family facts.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

The Gender switches using [Husband or [Wife] tells which spouse name to print depending on the sex of the person the fact is shared with.

Aha! It's not a bug. It's a feature!  :)

Much thanks for  your message. It was most insightful about some of the intricacies of the Sentence Template Language. I did a little experiment, placing a number of the tags into the sentence template for my Jane Smith. This was this sentence template for Jane Smith for the shared version of her Marriage Fact with the Spouse role. Here are the results.

[Person]      -> John Doe
[Spouse]      -> Jane Smith
[Couple]      -> John Doe and Jane Smith
[Husband]     -> John Doe
[Wife]        -> Jane Smith 
[ThisPerson]  -> Jane Smith

There are several interesting items in this list. The first two items sort of go together. The [Person] tag is defined as being the Principal person and the [Spouse] tag is defined as being the spouse of the Principal person. But who is the principal for a shared family fact?  Apparently it is always the husband. At least that's the way it seems to work, even if I do the sharing from the wife's Edit Person screen. That seems to be the subtle point that got me into trouble. And to tell you the truth, I was thinking of [Spouse] as being the spouse of [ThisPerson] rather than as being the spouse of [Person] as it so manifestly is.

For my purposes, it will be sufficient to have a gender switch to select the spouse embedded in the rest of my sentence as follows: <%[Wife]|[Husband]> (i.e., selecting the wife as the spouse for a male and the husband as the spouse for a female). Which is to say, the gender switch obviously tests against [ThisPerson] rather than against [Person], as well it should.

Again, much thanks,

Jerry

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

These sentences are Sharee sentences for Individual facts that are accessing the gender of the Principal in the Gender switch.

[ThisPerson] was living with [ThisPerson:HisHer]<%Person% father| mother>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< in the [Date:Year] census>.

[Thisperson:hisher]<%Person% son, [person],| daughter, [person],> was born< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Date]>.