2 replies to this topic

#1 soucalcole

soucalcole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hi,

I use RM 6 (with all updates).  Is it possible to change the name of a back up file and have RM not continue to "rename" the file the original name when it restores the file?

thank you

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

No. Renaming the backup (.RMGB files are really just .ZIP archive files) will not change the name of the database file that is contained inside.

Restore it to a folder other than where your current database of that name is (the <Restore to:> button in the dialog) ...then open it, rename the database uniquely and back it up (then you can delete the original source backup file).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

When backing up in the future, you can change the name of a database before you do the backup. Change the name back to the original name after you do the backup.

Or, copy the database giving it a new name. I include the date in the name. Backup from the copy. Or, just use the copy as a backup.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: file name, back up, restore file