1 reply to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

Background: I'm a Master Genealogist (TMG) Refugee. In TMG, I implemented Terry's Tips (http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Census.htm) for documenting census records. Thus, I have 'individuals' in my data that are actually census records.

When the fact (event) was created, the census 'person' was entered in the Principal 2' field. The advantage of this (when always used) is that it makes it easy to see all of the families in a particular census on one screen/report.

For heads of the household, those listed in the household are listed as witnesses.

However, in RootsMagic, it is causing some issues with the sentences.

The original sentence structure was

[Person] is head of household on the census <of [Date]> <[Place]> <as [M2]>, <[M1]>. Enumerated with were [OtherPersons].

I've edited the sentence structure for the fact via the Fact List screen to remove the references to M2 and M1 and replace it with <as [Desc]>. I would also like to replace the [OtherPersons] with just the witnesses to the event and NOT include Principal 2.

Below is what I would like for the sentence structure:

[Person] is head of household on the census <[Date:on]> <[Place]> <as [Desc]>. Enumerated with [Person] were [Witness].

For the witness field, I do not want Principal 2 listed, just the the witnesses. Is this possible? If so, what would be the sentence structure for the 2nd sentence?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

As I replied to the TMG-REFUGEES list where you posted the same question:

That is a question better put to the RootsMagic Forums or list. But I think the answer is to revert your second sentence to use [OtherPersons] instead of [Witness].[/size]

Reading the RM Help on Sentence Template Language:

[OtherPersons]: "All witnesses to the event, regardless of role. In witness fact sentences, this excludes the main witness" (i.e., [ThisPerson]).

[Role]: "All witnesses to the event with the specified role. The name of the role is typed in square brackets, e.g. [Witness], [Doctor], [Minister]." Note that [Witness] is a role included among all roles other than Principal as witnesses.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.