2 replies to this topic

#1 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:43 AM

I see that the annoying "Loading xxxxx" pop-ups are still present in the new 1.2 level of the IOS app.

These don't seem to serve any purpose as in most cases it just results in a screen flash that isn't readable before the resulting panel is displayed. And that is on an iPad that is quite some number of generations old. I'm sure on the later models, which have considerably more power, and no doubt the even more powerful ones to come over the next month or so, this pop-up will be even more annoying and less relevant.

Yes, the Pedigree and the Descendents panels can take longer to display if they are full-ish, so the pop-up is very visible in such cases, but even here does it really add any value?

I would strongly suggest that this annoying pop-up should be eliminated. What do others think?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:10 AM

I generally prefer my programs and apps to let me know that they're thinking, and not locked up....

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:43 PM

I generally prefer my programs and apps to let me know that they're thinking, and not locked up....

I'm not sure that I agree when we are talking about a read only RM on a tablet such as an iPad.

We are talking here about processing that involves no internet access and with all data on solid state memory, with in general only a single program running. Either something happens (good or bad) within at most a few seconds, or there is an irrecoverable hang, which I would have thought should be recognisable, and from which the only recovery is to kill the program. Given that the latter SHOULD be very very rare, why clutter the interface with unnecessary flashes at every interaction? This isn't something that iPad apps tend to do once they are past the testing stage, so why inflict it on us for RM?