• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DRMPiper

DRMPiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Out of curiosity, and a desire to learn, I have been playing with fact sentences. (At present taking priority over crosswords and Sudoku!)

In the shared census fact child role for the ‘sharee’ I am trying to construct a sentence that will take the following form:

In the [date:year] census [thisperson:first] [Thisperson:age:commas]  was living with<% his | her > ............

............ father or mother depending on sex of principal,...........

<[placedetails]> [place:first] <[person:role]>.

The difficulty is establishing the sex of the principal without printing a name. I think that it’s all to do with switching the focus back to the principal role. I appreciate that I could change the syntax and use the sharee [desc] field, but I think it would be useful to learn more about changing focus and switches.

Associated with this is there a way of getting properties of any field without printing the field itself?

Finally apart from the book and help files is there a more detailed source of sentence examples? I am particularly looking for guidance on ‘nesting’.

Hope that someone can help even if I am asking the impossible!

David

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

Try <%Person%father|mother> from my reading of Help.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 DRMPiper

DRMPiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thank you Tom.

Just shows the importance of checking spaces! I tried a similar syntax but couldn't get it right. Now I'm happy as I know how to use the 'principal' data. I'll play some more!

As an added thought is there a way to establish a family relationship between person and this person? eg grandfather grand son etc.

David

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

No is the answer to your question, other than using text in the sentence or Desc field. That would be a neat feature. Calling the relationship calculator from the sentence...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

Using Tom's suggeation, I wrote the sentence this way.
[ThisPerson] was living with [ThisPerson:HisHer]<%Person% father| mother>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< in the [Date:Year] census>.

To print his or her according to the sex of the person use [Person:HisHer].  I put it before the switch so I didn't need to put it in the switch twice.

You can use [Person:HeShe] or [Person: HimHer] also.

There is no one place where the various sentences users have constructed are posted.  There are various sentences posted in different threads in the forums.

I can give you an example.  This is my default Marriage sentence:

<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]> married< [desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]>'s marriage date and place are not known>.

<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]> married< [desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]><[Place]>

Prints the True part of the Value switch if there is a Date, Description, Place or Place detail entered.  The true part of the Value switch is a nested Gender switch  The husbands name prints first for the husband's record or the wife's name first for the wife's record and then the rest of the sentence.

<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]>'s marriage date and place are not known>.

Prints the False part of the Value switch if there are no entries in the fact.  The nested  Gender switch is again telling RM which name to print first before printing the rest of the sentence.

I don't often share facts so I haven't experimented with nesting switches using roles in the Principal's sentence.

I don't understand what you mean by getting properties of any field without printing the field.

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

From Laura, "There is no one place where the various sentences users have constructed are posted. There are various sentences posted in different threads in the forums."

That would make a nice addition to have a new category for the webpage with organized verified fact sentences.

#7 DRMPiper

DRMPiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

No is the answer to your question, other than using text in the sentence or Desc field. That would be a neat feature. Calling the relationship calculator from the sentence...

Add to wish list?

#8 DRMPiper

DRMPiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

Laura, thank you so much for your detailed response. The marriage sentence wa sjust the sort of thing i was looking for. More examples explained in that way would be very useful. There are at least two of us who would welcome such input!! :)

"I don't understand what you mean by getting properties of any field without printing the field".

My comment was sparked by the initial enquiry, and has been answered by yourself and TomH.

Again many thanks to both of you for your help.

David

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8407 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

The wish list request

I'm not sure if its possible. The relationship calculator is a totally separate tool and not like a fact type. Even set relationship doesn't happen automatically, you have to run it again when you add a new person. I use the Reference Number fact to add my relationships to people. It keeps me on track so I don't go down some in-law's line. If I want it to show in a report I either add it as the number to display after name. If I wanted to expand on it I could change the sentence template to whatever I wanted.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

The wish list request
I'm not sure if its possible. The relationship calculator is a totally separate tool and not like a fact type. Even set relationship doesn't happen automatically, you have to run it again when you add a new person.

I am certain that it is possible. Underlying the Relationship Calculator is a function (sub-routine, module) that receives two person numbers and works out the relationship, returning the result to the calling process. Whether the calling process is the Relationship Calculator user interface or the expanding of a sentence template does not matter to the relationship function. A sentence containing Person and ThisPerson "knows" their respective PersonIDs in order to retrieve names so it can readily provide them also to a/the relationship function.

Whether this might have adverse impact on the speed with which a report is generated is moot.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8407 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

A sentence template relationship function could also work with [OtherPersons] and [Role], relating them to [ThisPerson]. I am not sure what the syntax should be. If it is safe to assume that the relationship should always appear with the relative's name, perhaps it should be an option, e.g. [Role:Relate] or [OtherPersons:Relate] or [Person:Relate]. And there are other display matters such as "Joe Blow (great-uncle)" or "Joe Blow, her great-uncle" or "her great-uncle Joe Blow"...

#13 DRMPiper

DRMPiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

I had thought that I could use the desc field in a shared fact to add a relationship but of course the fact is for the principal and not to the sharee (don't like that word!). So it's back to manually customizing each shared fact until the idea of using a relationship link is resolved.

...................bated breath!

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

I have always created Sharee roles as the relationship of the Sharee to the head of household for a census, Spouse, Child, Neice, etc. when I experiment with sharing census facts.

But, if I create the Sharee roles as the relationship of the head of the household to the Sharee, it is easy to create a Sharee sentence for the Sharee that gives the relationship.  It became so simple when I got my thinking out of my own self imposed box.

The Sharee role, AuntUncle, has the default sentence of:

[ThisPerson] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer]<%Person% uncle, [Person],| aunt, [Person],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

The neice or nephew's Sharee role would be Uncle.

Spouse role:

[ThisPerson] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer]<%Person% husband, [Person].| wife, [Person],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

Parent role for a child:

[ThisPerson] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer]<%Person% father, [Person],| mother, [Person].>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

Sibling role for person living with a sibling:
[ThisPerson] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer]<%Person% brother, [Person],| sister, [Person],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

Grandparent role for a grandchild:

[ThisPerson] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer]<%Person% grandfather, [Person],| grandmother, [Person],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

Or, perhaps have different roles for maternal and paternal grandparents or aunts and uncles or cousins.

You could have roles for Boarder, Lodger, Servant etc.

Edit:

I changed the Spouse sentence:

<%Person% [ThisPerson:Given] [Person:Surname] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] husband, [Person]|[ThisPerson] lived in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] wife, [Person:Given] [ThisPerson:Surname],>< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

This prints the married surname instead of maiden surname for the wife in the census record.