• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kzmt

kzmt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

I think I really messed up.  I was looking at someone in my file and it looks like I accidentally added some letters to the name (3 A's written together). Thinking I could look back at one of my backups, I clicked on it and I got a list of files to use to open the backup. dumb, I know, but I clicked pdf. Now all backups show that icon, but still have the rmgb extension. So, I tried to backup my file to see if it would backup correctly. It also shows Adobe icon. How do I fix it, please???

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Right-click on a .RMGB file and
-select Properties
-select General tab
-click <Change> button
-select RootsMagic Genealogy Software
(if it is not listed, click <Browse> button, navigate to RootsMagic program folder and click upon Rootsmagic.exe)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

kbens0n tells you how to fix the file association.  But I just wanted to mention that when you are ready to open the backup you need to do so inside of RootsMagic. Go to File>Restore. Make sure you check which folder to restore the backup to otherwise it will write over the current database in that same fold with that name. If you simply tried to click on the backup inside of Windows even with the file associated with RootsMagic, it won't actually open the RMGB backup file. It has to be restored first. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 kzmt

kzmt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

Thank you both!!!  It's back to normal and I have saved your posts.