9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

I've been away for quite awhile.  This may have been addressed before.

I've placed my databases etc. in the cloud to allow me access where ever I might be.

Is there a mechanism to prevent two people in differing locations with egual access to the cloud from clobbering each others work?

Thanks

JohnG

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

There is no mechanism programmed into RootsMagic (nor the SQLite database itself) to protect against such clobbering.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

There are cloud-based collaborative services that allow one person to "check out" a file to work on it and to prevent it from being modified by another and then "check in" the file to make it available to other collaborators.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 CharlieB

CharlieB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Depends on the subtleties of the phrase "equal access" If you mean that you uploaded the file and then have shared the password to that little bit of cloud, then yes, that second person could indeed clobber the file, maliciously or accidentally. If you mean that the file has been uploaded by you but you have simply marked the files as shared then that GENERALLY means read only. Look at it like your business : two people have equal access to all folders in the drive. But once a file is open, when the second person seeks to open it, their screen should display a message "file aaa is in use by person bbb, open as read only ?"

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

I would never work on the file live in the cloud. The way database files work it will either lock or corrupt eventually. You could pause syncing to prevent this. This is how I would handle working with a family member, if I was so lucky to have one that wants to.

I would create a shared folder on Dropbox

I would have the recent backup store there.

I would add a text note that can be edited real time to record who has the file.

When I want to work on the file I open the text file and mark the date and time I am "checking it out". Then I would restore the backup to my computer and work on it. Once done I will upload a new backup. In the text file I would "check-in" the backup so the other person can work on it. Each person should be disciplined to only work on the file while the other person doesn't have it check out. If an error occurs in timing there is no danger in messing up the file by two people working live at the same time. Each always has their own copy on their local computer. If there are two versions of the database with edits, because someone messed up, then use File>Compare Files to resolve the differences.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

When I want to work on the file I open the text file and mark the date and time I am "checking it out". 

This procedure would probably be successful 99.99% of the time, but it could still fail. The problem is that a race condition could occur if you and your collaborator opened the text file and checked it out at more or less the same time. You would both believe that you had control of the file. So a cloud based collaborative service should really be used to be safe.

I do concur strongly that the only thing that's safe is some sort of "check the RM database out" system where the cloud copy of the database is kept locally while you work on it and you put it back into the cloud when you check it back in. Simply storing the RM database in the cloud would never be safe.

Jerry

#7 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:40 AM

A method of making the file read only while another is updating is what I was hoping to find.  But after listening to your advice, it seems updating the file locally and then uploading is the better choice.

Thanks

JohnG

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

Collaborators could simply create two self-evident shared folders InUse and NotInUse.
Move accordingly when done working on a copy.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

This thread is confusing me. Does RootsMagic actually have the capability to directly edit a Cloud-based database?  Because, if not, then many of the observations and suggestions are mute as there is no form of Client - Server relationship.

My understanding is that RootsMagic (at least at present) can only edit a locally held database, which can potentially, be synched/shared between computers via a Cloud-based repository.  Any form of 'database integrity protection' is therefore impossible to implement via software once you allow a third party the ability to download, edit and re-upload an amended copy of the database.  In fact, it's equally impossible to protect the integrity of your database, other than through self discipline, if you personally edit it on two different devices, including using RootsMagicToGo. 

Is there some feature I am missing?

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Is there some feature I am missing?

No. The OP wants ANY mechanism to prevent two people in differing locations with equal access to the cloud from clobbering each others work.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N