4 replies to this topic

#1 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Is there a report or a process I can use to generate a report (and print it) that would list all the people in my RM database that has a specific source attached to them? I don't see anything on the report list and I don't see where I can create a custom report as there is no data field in the drop down menu for "source".

Ideas appreciated.

Ted

Or is there a list report that I can run that would list each individual and the sources attached to them?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

You can go to Reports, List, All reports, Source list.

Choose print a single source and Select the source.

Check citation details and any of the other choices to show for citation details you want.

The report will print the person's name, record number, fact the source is linked to and source detail plus research notes, comments, etc, if you checked those boxes.

To see all the sources attached to a person, you can do an Individual summary report.  Highlight the person on the main screen.  Go to Reports, Individual summary.

Or you can do a Narrative report for 1 generation.  I have the Narrative report button on my Toolbar and set the report to 1 generation.  One click on the icon opens a Narrative report.

You can also add the Family Group Sheet button to the Toolbar.

You can search for people with a specific source linked in their record using Any fact, source, name contains.  Or, you can search by a specific fact or search a part of the source.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:49 PM

Another approach is to use RM's Custom Report facility.

The thing that you have to remember about using RM's Custom Report facility is that there are two things you have to do to use the facility successfully, and the two things you have to do actually have very little to do with each other. One thing you have to do is to describe which fields you wish to include in the report. Often, the fields are no more complicated than each person's last name and first name (and possibly their record number). Sometimes the fields are more complicated than that (e.g., birth date and place, death date and place, etc.), but the "setting up the fields" part of a Custom Report is usually the easy part. It can be a little tricky to set up until you get used to it because it's all pointy-clicky stuff to sort of "draw a picture" of what you want the report to look like, but it's pretty easy to do.

The other thing you have to do is usually somewhat harder. Namely, you have to select a group of people to include in your report. Well, you can include everybody and that's really easy to do. But if you want to include just some of the people, such as all of the people who have a specific source attached to them, you have to do a little more work. Namely you have to set up a a search of  some kind. You can give your search directly to the Custom Report process, or better still you can use your search to set up a Named Group of people and give your Named Group to the Custom Report process. For example, your search might be to search for something like Source(general)->name->contains-> followed by the name of the source to look for. If you want to search not just for sources for the person in general but also wish to search for sources associated with each person's facts, then add an OR condition that says to search also for  Any Fact->source->name->contains followed by the name of the source to look for.

Jerry

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

A trick I use when making changes to a specific sources in multiple person's records is to do a Source list report and save it to a text file.

Then, I create a Group of people who have that source.

I open RM and a word processor with the text file side by side in Windows.

I can refer to the text file to see what fact(s) the source is linked to in a person's record.  And, I can open that person's record from the Group to make any changes.

I delete a person's citation from the text file and use QuickGroup to remove them from the Group as I move down the lists checking the sources and making corrections.

I can filter the People view by the Group, and when I open a person's Edit person screen and unmark the Group in QuickGroup, the person's name is removed from the Group on the People view and on the Sidebar. 

The Sidebar can be closed when the People view is filtered by the Group which helps when having the two programs side by side on my 10.1 inch screen tablet.

#5 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone. Great ideas and great support from RM forums. I moved from Legacy Family Tree to RM for many reasons, one being the support support I am getting.

Ted