Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

Hi

When I click on a person on my RM6 I see the following

Name say

John Barr

B. 18th April 1871
M
D  21st May 1920
Now this ancestor never married and would like to put “Never Married or Single where the Marriage part is so I can see it immediately when I click on his name, rather than putting it in his notes.
Can someone tell me an easy way to do this please.
Regards

Murphy

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

I don't believe there's any way. In order for that block to become available for filling with any text, you must attach a spouse and that defeats your purpose.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

Create a user defined fact with the description enabled.

Mine is named Marital status. Enter Never married or other comments about a pwrson's marital status in the description.

Or, use the Miscellanious fact and enter Never married in the description.

You can also create a Family user defined fact to add to a couple that lived together but never married.

You will need to open the Edit person screen to see the fact or put the main view on Timeline.

#4 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

Ok thanks for your replies.

I tried one or to things before they came through, and I am satisfied with what I did.
This is how I achieved it
Double click on the named person who is unmarried or single.
Click Add Fact
Go down to Marriage, then click Select.
Add New Spouse comes up click OK
Then add New Person.
In the Surname put a full stop.
Change Sex to Unknown then Un-tick the Living box, click OK
Then click “Continue adding New Spouse”
In the Marriage date put Unmarried or Single whatever you prefer.
Click Save then Close.
The marriage should now have Unmarried next to it.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Now, you have a dummy person in your database named full stop whatever that is.

And, when you print a Narrative report, the automatic married sentence that prints when there is a marriage fact will print.

John Doe and "Full stop" married on Never married.

Any other reports or Groups you make, depending on report and the search criteria, will include that marriage.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8453 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

If you are not using the Record Numbers to display after a person's name (Tools>File Options>Number to display after name) you could use the Reference Number fact. Then add the Reference Number fact with "Not Married" in the description field. It will then always show up after the person's name.

Otherwise if you want to quickly see it you have to modify the person's name and make it a part of it. The Suffix field would work.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hi Laura
You said now, I have a dummy person in your database named full stop whatever that is.
This is true but when I click on the named person at least I can view it directly and can see whether or not he was married.
When I bring his parents up and click Family all their children appear, then if I single click on one of the children these details show in the window above the parent's names, but the Marriage is blank, this is the bit I want to see "Unmarried or Single" in.
Rather than having to double click on his name to view it, this saves time when visiting my GRO Im not a Pro just an amateur doing my own family tree looking for a little advice and help I only moved to RM6 when they did away with the LDS Paf files
However if you could to explain where in RM6 I can find and how to do your solution that may be the best thing to do.

Regards
Murphy

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

I know where you want to see it. But, creating a dummy spouse and dummy marriage is going to cause you problems elsewhere.  No entry in RM is in a vacumn and only affects  the screen you are on.

You could take Renee's suggestion and enter [Never married] or [Single] in the suffix of the person's name. Then it will show and print where ever the name prints.  For Narrarive report sentences, you might want to change default sentences to read [Person:Given:Surname] so the suffix doesn't print.

Renee's other suggestion was to enter it into the Referennce number fact.

If you go to Tools, File options and choose Reference number (REFN) from the dropdown Number to display after name menu, whatever is entered into the Reference number fact description box is shown on screens and printed in reports instead of the person's record number.

This will show never married or single to the right of the person's name in the place of the person's record number.

If you don't want the fact printed in reports for a person, you can mark the fact as Private on the Edit person screen or Timeline view.

Or, you could customize that fact's sentence for that person on the Edit person screen to print [Person] was [Desc]. and enter never married or single in the description for the sentence that prints in a Narrative report.

To create a user defined fact, go to lists, Fact type list and choose Design new fact.

#9 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hi Laura & Renee

I have now done Renee's suggestion and entered [Never married] in the suffix, this suits me fine, thank you both for your help, and Laura I have deleted all my dummy people in my database, lol

Regards

Murphy

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

Thanks!  I am glad to hear that for this use of dummy persons,  <Smile>