• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Cassara

Michael Cassara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

As my database continues to grow, I have a number of relatives to whom I'm related in multiple ways.  I love using the Relationship Chart to display how we're related - it's particularly helpful when I get in touch with "new" cousins - to demonstrate our connection.

That said, RM defaults (I think) to the most direct relationship - but I'd love to have the option to pick which relationship that is charted - or to select all known relationships.  Possible to add this to the wishlist? 

Michael Cassara | DigiRoots.net
New York, NY - http://www.digiroots.net | http://www.michaelcassara.net
michael@digiroots.net

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Under Tools - Relationship Calculator you get a list of all of the relationships between two people, but you do not get the full lines of individuals on each relationship. For example, I have a married couple in my database who are related 49 different ways. The closest is ninth cousins, the furthest is 14th cousins. For each relationship RM shows the common ancestors for the pair of individuals investigated.

#4 Michael Cassara

Michael Cassara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, Renee.

And zhangrau - correct - that's why I'm thinking it would be very useful if the two functionalities could be merged, in a sense.  I.e. when we go to the Relationship Chart, letting us pick the line of descent - or a "print all" option with the Relationship Chart.

Michael Cassara | DigiRoots.net
New York, NY - http://www.digiroots.net | http://www.michaelcassara.net
michael@digiroots.net

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

Other users have requested a "print all" capability for Ancestor wall charts. That might be feasible on a small database with only a few inter-related lines - MAYBE.  But I can't imagine the programming complexity to chart the couple I described above with all 49 of their inter-related lines.

But, I would like the ability to select which of two (or more?) sets of parents to chart. As it is the RM Chart program looks at the last-viewed/edited set of parents. That works, but is clunky in a family with multiple step-families or adoptions. However, I haven't given any real thought to how to arrange a user interface to accomplish that flexibility.

#6 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

I stongly support Michael Cassara's request and comments. I work with a geographically isolated, endogamous population (Newfoundland). It's very common for individuals to be related along two or three different lines. It's frustrating that the Relationship Chart can't deal with this even though the Relationship Calculator can.  These charts are an important method of explaining to people who have DNA matches how they are related. The way RootsMagic works now, I use the Relationship Chart to create a chart for one of the relationships.  For the second and third (or even fourth) line of connection, I have to  use the Relationship Chart to create two charts, one for each side of the connecting line, and then combine these charts in Photoshop.  It's a lot of work that could be avoided if the RootsMagic Relationship Charting process worked like the Relationship Calculating process for multiple connection lines. If I could have only one enhancement to RootsMagic, this would be the one that I would choose.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

Also bring back the half-sibling, half-cousin notation that used to be in Family Origins and possibly in the early versions of RootsMagic.  The only clue in the current version of RM is the top level person does not have a listed spouse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Relationship Chart, Charting