8 replies to this topic

#1 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

Hi,

Quick question:  How come when I moved information from one file to another, the updated information from one file is not transfered to the other file?  For example, after I updated the marriage date on one family file, the information did not show up on the the second file (using the click and hold to transfer from one file to the other).

Thanks.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3478 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

Sounds like you may mean drag&drop? between two databases? If so, a marriage fact is essentially a family fact and requires both spouses to be dragged over to the new database in order to capture the marriage date (and when including children, etc). If one spouse already exists in the destination database ...drag that person (after selectinig both spouses) and drop them upon their self in the destination database file acknowledging yes that they are the same person..

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

Check out the Using Drag and Drop video on Youtube, RootsMagicTV.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-dLBU_Tx9t8

#4 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

Thank you.

#5 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hi again,

I tried the suggestions above and still have a problem get information from one file to other.  When I drag and drop information of grandfather that contains his marriage date to the second file that has his name but not the marriage date, that particular information doesn't appear on the other file.  The fact about his marriage doesn't transfer over by using drag and drop.  Is that a glitch?  Will I have to re-type that info on the second file? 

Any suggestions.. The video https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-dLBU_Tx9t8 did not help me for this problem.

Thanks. 

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

As Kevin posted, you have to drag and drop the grandmother too. Family facts, like Marriage, only transfer if you drag and drop both spouses at the same time.

You will probably need to merge the two grandmother records if you already have the grandmother in the file you drop her into.

#7 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

Sorry, I'm new at this.  How do I move both ppl at the same time? 

Thanks...

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3478 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

When you drag any one person between databases...a dialog opens up... choose <Let me select people from a list>

An alpha-sorted list of everyone in the database appears with little checkboxes to the left of their names.

Clicking upon the empty checkboxes places checkmarks within to signal to RM which individuals to drag across between files.

Use the buttons above to aid in navigating, finding and marking (in this case, just the two married spouses).

Tools->Merge may need to be run as a followup, if you have dragged over people from the source database who were already in the destination database too.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8641 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

In drag n drop if you select "Descendants and spouses" 1 generation it will give you that one person's spouse too.

Renee
RootsMagic