1 reply to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

I have created many narrative reports, some in excess of 250+ pages. The report are replete with computerese which I edit out to make the language less stilted. This results in a shorter report which changes the indexed names. Does anyone have a tip on how to make the index reflect the edited report?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

Update the index. If you are using Microsoft Word, highlight the index and click on F9. If you are using both a name index and a place index, do the same for both indexes.

In my experience, the index will look pretty awful at this point. The problem is some sort of pathological interaction between the RTF file that is generated by RM and the default handling of style sheets by Microsoft Word. The solution is to change the style sheet to something like the 2003 style sheet. In Microsoft Word 2010, click Change Styles from the right end of the ribbon, Style Set -> 2003. For other versions of Microsoft Word, the process is similar. More modern Microsoft style sheets handle the carriage return character in a really ugly manner that results in all kinds of extra spacing in indexes generated by RM.

If you are using something other than Microsoft Word, perhaps other users can suggest the details of the solution. But the solution will definitely require the indexes to be generated by your word processor.

Jerry