5 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Being able to edit the individual's information from the RM Explorer screen (the one with the alphabetical list of names on the left and Individual Information on the right)would be a wonderful option. With 176k names in my database, scrolling down the Explorer screen to find duplicate facts, etc., and being able to delete/correct them would be one of the most helpful tools I can think of when editing my database. Is this feasible?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

Every Edit person screen can be edited from within RootsMagic Explorer and always has been.

Highlight a person on the list.

Click on the Edit button on the right side of the Individual information line in the right pane.

Or, click on the columns to the right of the Name Spouse, Parents or a fact in the right pane.

#3 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

I guess what DerrickH is saying is that rather than having to either double click on an entry on the right or click the "Edit" button to go to the usual Edit dialog - would it be possible to embed the full functionality of the Edit Dialog within the "Explorer" dialog; thus savings mouse "clicks".  There is certainly the screen space to do it.

I welcome any improvements that save "clicks".

MVS.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

It depends on what size moniter you are using.

On my 10.1 tablet, the font on the RootsMagic Explorer screen would have to be so small that I couldn't read it making RootsMagic Explorer useless for me.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

If you compare the Edit Person screen against the RootsMagic Explorer section that you want to edit, you will see the right hand side where you edit the fields is missing. So its not possible to make this part of the screen to be editable. 

If you want a similar option that is editable you can switch to the Timeline View and have the sidebar index open at the same time. You can use the Options to turn off the events for parents, siblings, spouses, and children so you only have what is showing on their Edit Person screen.  Then on the right you will have the fields to make the edits as you review the individuals.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

Using RootsMagic Explorer and Timeline:
Put the main view in Timeline - 1 click
Open RootsMagic Explorer from Toolbar - 1 click.
Highlight the person - 1 click in list, highlight name
Close RM Explorer - 1 click on Select
Edit the person on Timeline.
4 clicks
Editing a person in RM Explorer adds 2 more clicks, opening and closing the Edit person screen.

Using Timeline and Sidebar, Index:
Put the main view on Timeline - 1 click
Open Sidebar - 1 click
Choose Sidebar, Index - 1 click, highlight name
Edit the person in Timeline.
3 clicks

If moving between family members, change the Sidebar to Family.

I still use RM Explorer when I don't want to change the focus person on the main screen and want to look at another person's record or when I don't want to change the Sidebar focus.