14 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

I had this problem last week and assumed it was a temporary issue, but I'm still seeing it.  When I open the CountyCheck Explorer, I can click on "Online Info" and find that information via FamilySearch.  When I click on "Online Map", I get the message that "The requested URL /ahcbp/website/Kansas was not found on this server.".

Has this service been indefinitely interrupted?  Did I miss an announcement?

Thanks.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com says that the http://publications....p/website/Xxxxx links are unreachable for all.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

The Online Map link for that particular location is to the Newberry Library Atlas of Historical County Boundaries at http://publications....erry.org/ahcbp/. There is a notice on that page saying 

Please note: the interactive map portion of this site is temporarily unavailable.
Enter email address to receive notification when this functionality has been restored:

Some other locations link to other resources which are working.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the update.  I wasn't sure if it was temporarily offline, had vanished completely, or had just had its URL changed without our having been informed.

#5 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

It is a month later, and the site's interactive map is still down, and its notification request feature apparently does not work either.  Does anyone have any information on what's going on?  Is "temporarily unavailable" mean "permanently toast"?  Are they experiencing a severe problem that is taking a long time to fix?  Do they have a ballpark idea of when it will return?

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

Did you try to contact them ?

Bottom of the page reads:

Atlas of Historical County Boundaries
Contact us: dis@newberry.org

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

No, I didn't.  Has anyone else done so yet?

I tried the "Notify me . . ." button, and found that it didn't work.  Then I came here to see if anyone knew an answer by now.   I was hoping someone else was bothered about the problem and had already checked.

If no one else has done so, then I plan to use that means, though I'm not particularly fond of "Contact Us" buttons, as many sites are not very fast on making replies (excluding autoreplies) within a reasonable time.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already know it's there and thought I'd try this site first.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

You can enter your email address on link below in order to be notified when the site is up and running.

http://publications....erry.org/ahcbp/

I did receive an email from them and this is what they report about the site being down.

Thank you for your interest in the Newberry's Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.

We know how valuable this resource is to researchers and look forward to getting our interactive maps back up as soon as we can. At this stage, we are exploring options and costs to upgrade hardware and software and to ensure ongoing access and support for the site. We do not have a timeline yet for restoring the maps, but we will let you know as soon as one has been established. In the meantime, other important Atlas of Historical County Boundaries features (such as downloadable shape files, chronologies, bibliographies, metadata, and commentaries) are still accessible.

If you have questions or would like to opt out of receiving future notifications about the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries, please contact DIS@newberry.org

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

There is apparently something wrong, either with my browser in general, or my Java.  I can't get that to work.  I put in my email address, and it just doesn't work.  Thanks for having gotten the data, and I hope someone else for whom this is working will share a general announcement, if I can't get the word from them myself.

Does anyone know of any similar sort of site?  While this one is nearly everything for which an American genealogist looking for maps could ask, maybe there's another site at a lower level.  I'd even consider pay sites, if they provide a worthwhile return.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

The Newbury Library website historical maps were based on the AniMap software. You could purchase the software from Goldbug but its pricey - http://goldbug.com/animap/

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

The Newbury Library website historical maps were based on the AniMap software. You could purchase the software from Goldbug but its pricey - http://goldbug.com/animap/

I'd LOVE to have AniMap, but the cost is prohibitive right now. There are just too many other genealogy needs/wants to justify the purchase. Hm-m-m-m, maybe for Christmas!  :D

It's been real... It's been fun...

#12 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

The site is on line and seems to be working for me, with one exception:  There is a message which states:

"Please note: the interactive map portion of this site is temporarily unavailable." plus an option to enter an e-mail address if you want to be notified when the functionality is restored.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

I received an email from Newberry Library on the status of their Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. RootsMagic links to this inside CountyCheck Online Maps.

Thank you for your continued interest in the Newberry's Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.

We're writing to let you know that the we've made progress with our plan to restore and improve the interactive map feature on the site. In the years since the Atlas site launched, there has been an explosion of geospatial software, tools, and services. We've had many options to review and consider the past few months. We're pleased to say that we've signed an agreement with Galecia Group, the developers who are also working on an upgrade of our Chicago Ancestors site. We anticipate a prototype of the new Atlas in early 2016 and hope to launch the site for researchers in Spring 2016.

The Atlas is an important tool for many researchers and we appreciate the response we've had from you in recent months. We're excited to bring these important maps back for you, with a fresh new interface. In the meantime, other important Atlas of Historical County Boundaries features (such as downloadable shape files, chronologies, bibliographies, metadata, and commentaries) are still accessible.

If you have questions or would like to opt out of receiving future notifications about the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries, please contact DIS@newberry.org

Jennifer Thom
Director of Digital Initiatives and Services

Matt Rutherford
Curator of Genealogy and Local History

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 DJY

DJY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

I found the updated Newberry website with the new maps but the path is different.  How do I change the links in the countycheck explorer  so that the "online map" feature points to the new maps?   I can see how that feature would be very powerful if it worked!

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

That is on the development list.

Renee
RootsMagic