• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

I uninstalled and reinstalled RM7. I copied the database to  the RM7 folder, updated read only and permissions on that folder's contents, and it now seems to work. I pointed my RM 6 program to the new location of the database and that version now works also.

Thanks for your help..

#22 jboutwell

jboutwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Any ideas how to fix this on RootsMagic for Mac? I am running High Sierra 10.12.6, and yesterday updated with the Security Update 2017-001.  I think that is what caused my problem.  Now when I try to load an existing database, I get an error that "Roots Magic can't open this file [path] - Error: attempt to open a read only database (8)."

When I try to create a new file to restore into, I get "Sqlite Error 14- unable to open database file".

I tried uninstalling Roots Magic 7.5.4.0. and reinstalling the same version (which is the latest). It did not help.

When I try to create a new file, it creates the database - I can see it in the Finder. If I look at the file information, I see that I have read/write access, staff and everyone has read only. I tried changing it so everyone had read/write access, but that didn't change anything. I still couldn't open it.

Not sure what to try now.

Thanks - Juanita

#23 jboutwell

jboutwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

Any ideas how to fix this on RootsMagic for Mac? I am running High Sierra 10.12.6, and yesterday updated with the Security Update 2017-001.  I think that is what caused my problem.  Now when I try to load an existing database, I get an error that "Roots Magic can't open this file [path] - Error: attempt to open a read only database (8)."

When I try to create a new file to restore into, I get "Sqlite Error 14- unable to open database file".

I tried uninstalling Roots Magic 7.5.4.0. and reinstalling the same version (which is the latest). It did not help.

When I try to create a new file, it creates the database - I can see it in the Finder. If I look at the file information, I see that I have read/write access, staff and everyone has read only. I tried changing it so everyone had read/write access, but that didn't change anything. I still couldn't open it.

Not sure what to try now.

Thanks - Juanita

I realized this morning that I never tried rebooting, and did so. That seemed to fix the problem.

#24 debmal

debmal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

I know this is much later than the original request, but thought I'd add this option for anyone new that might be searching. 

- my RootsMagic worked fine

- I set up Microsoft Defender (security/antivirus in Windows 10)

- I turned on one extra thing that sounded good - "Controlled Folder Access" under Ransomeware

- tried RootsMagic again and it couldn't open the data - "unable to open database file (14)"

- tried changing "read only" properties, but didn't work

- went back into Defender and turned "Controlled Folder Access" back off

- RootsMagic came back to life

There may be other ways to get it to work with "Controlled Folder Access" still turned on, but this was enough for me.

Deb