• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Any ideas on what this error is?  I get it on all my databases and on version 6 as well as version 7.

I am running Win 10 and have used RM with it  a couple days ago with no problem (I did do the reg update)

UPDATE:

I did a right click and Run As Administrator and it opened.  I would still like to know what the problem is and why it suddenly started.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Your database file or possibly one of the temporary files created by the SQLite database engine when it operates on the database could not be opened by SQLite because said file is in a folder with access restricted to Windows Admin level users. I have no idea why it became a problem. Did you change your user account or account level? Any recent changes to your system? What version of Windows?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

As stated initially, I am using Windows 10.  I have used Roots Magic after the upgrade to 10 and it was fine.  The problem was first noticed yesterday. The only changes, if any, were updates to the OS.  I also changed the logon from Microsoft to local account, but don't know if that was before or after I had used RM.  I suspect it was before so I don't think that is the problem

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

We have seen several users with this same issue after upgrading to Windows 10. The install set their files to Read-Only. If you right click on the file or folder and select properties you can uncheck the Read-Only option. If you are selecting a folder it will do all the files and sub-folders inside it at the same time. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

You are right. It is marked as read only. The problem now is that it won't let me change the properties. I should have administrator privileges but it doesn't think I do.

#6 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

The Roots Magic Folder is marked as Read Only and can't be changed. The database and the files in the RM folder are not marked as Read Only.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

After they are set, Windows ignores System or Read-Only settings on folders, except when an attempt is made to create a new file within that folder (marked Read-Only). It looks to the settings for the files inside the folder, as far as allowable operations. As long as you are not storing your databases in a sub-folder of RootsMagic's own installation folder, you should be okay

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

The databases are in my users documents folder. They are not marked read only, and I have them set up with all permissions, but I still get the error 14.  The program folders are still marked read only, as I said, but the files contained withing the folders are not marked read only.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

Here's something else I learned about this.

Unchecking read only doesn't always work.
Especially when updating to Win 10.
There are several things to try:
1. Make sure the file isn't open in both RM6 and RM7 at the same time
2. Check the read only mark
3. Go to this link it you installed a much different version of Windows 10 than you had before (Windows 8 Home to Windows 10 Enterprise): http://superuser.com...der-windows-8-1

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:06 AM

Nothing seems to work, other than running as administrator.  The database and program files are not marked read only, only the folder, as previously mentioned.

#11 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

See if this helps.

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes 

1.      Click Start, click Run, type cmd and then press ENTER.
2.      To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib /? at the command prompt.
To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:
attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r +s c:\test
Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:
attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
For example, to remove both the Read-only and the System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r -s c:\test

If the Run command is not listed on the Start menu, do the following:
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and then click Run.

For further reference check the article mentioned below.
You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

#12 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

I had already tried this and saw no change.  The command I used was attrib -r C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\RootsMagic 6 as well as attrib -r -s c:\ProgramFiles (x86)\RootsMagic 6

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

I had already tried this and saw no change.  The command I used was attrib -r C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\RootsMagic 6 as well as attrib -r -s c:\ProgramFiles (x86)\RootsMagic 6

You're not going to achieve anything by messing with attributes of the program's installation folder ( C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\RootsMagic X ) or the files within it.

Just run the latest installer for each version of the program you have a product key for and then leave the program's installation folder alone.

Keep in mind that Version 6 CANNOT read databases that have been opened in Version 7 (they get converted and are NOT backward compatible). So, you should have 2 different folders for storing databases for two different versions of RootsMagic. (ie. C:\Users\WhateverUsernameYou'reLoggedInAs\Documents\RM6databases\database.rmgc

-and-

C:\Users\WhateverUsernameYou'reLoggedInAs\Documents\RM7databases\database.rmgc

Better yet, make folders outside even the Documents folder. C:\RMdatabases\RM6 and C:\RMdatabases\RM7

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

Keep in mind that Version 6 CANNOT read databases that have been opened in Version 7 (they get converted and are NOT backward compatible).

That was true for every upgrade from RM3 to RM6 but the database structure remained unchanged between RM6 and RM7. See http://sqlitetoolsfo...om/RootsMagic 7 . RM6 can open databases created by RM7; it just cannot do all the things with the database that RM7 can do.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

That was true for every upgrade from RM3 to RM6 but the database structure remained unchanged between RM6 and RM7. See http://sqlitetoolsfo...om/RootsMagic 7 . RM6 can open databases created by RM7; it just cannot do all the things with the database that RM7 can do.

Ah, my misunderstanding ...I've held off on updating to RM7. I've edited my response.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

My father has a similar problem. He's using a valid version of RM6 in WIn7 and has to re-enter his registration code every time he runs RM6. He keeps the code handy on a slip of paper, since it's too long to remember. His installed RM6 is under ProgramFiles(x86), where it should be. His data files are in a separate root-level directory. I just was with him (on vacation) and gave him an updated copy of my RMGC file and media folder. He starts RM6 by double-clicking the RMGC file, then enters the reg code, and receives a popup stating that some file cannot be created in the ProgramFIles(x86)\Rootsmagic6 folder. That seems to explain why he has to keep re-entering his reg code, but I don't understand the underlying problem. His setup is like mine (running RM6 under Win7, except my data files are on my E: drive). We were able to run Search & Replace to correct all of the multimedia links form my E: to his C: drive, so the operation of RM6 appears OK.

So, why does he have to keep entering his reg code?

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

My father has a similar problem. He's using a valid version of RM6 in WIn7 and has to re-enter his registration code every time he runs RM6. He keeps the code handy on a slip of paper, since it's too long to remember. His installed RM6 is under ProgramFiles(x86), where it should be. His data files are in a separate root-level directory. I just was with him (on vacation) and gave him an updated copy of my RMGC file and media folder. He starts RM6 by double-clicking the RMGC file, then enters the reg code, and receives a popup stating that some file cannot be created in the ProgramFIles(x86)\Rootsmagic6 folder. That seems to explain why he has to keep re-entering his reg code, but I don't understand the underlying problem. His setup is like mine (running RM6 under Win7, except my data files are on my E: drive). We were able to run Search & Replace to correct all of the multimedia links form my E: to his C: drive, so the operation of RM6 appears OK.

So, why does he have to keep entering his reg code?

For Windows 7 all he needs to do is right click on the RootsMagic desktop icon and select Run as Administrator and then enter his registration key. It should remember it after that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thanks, I've emailed your suggestion to my father !!

#19 TexAl99

TexAl99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

This got off topic.  I still am no closer to a solution to the initial problem.  No suggestions have worked.  Any other ideas??

#20 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Any ideas on what this error is? I get it on all my databases and on version 6 as well as version 7.

I also changed the logon from Microsoft to local account, but don't know if that was before or after I had used RM.  I suspect it was before so I don't think that is the problem

I suspect this *must* be your problem, since no other users are currently reporting this issue.
The symptoms you describe could possibly result in problems with ownership privileges since you mention the "user documents folder" and you've transitioned through several user accounts in this process. Sounds like you may have gone from a Windows account username like TexAl99@outlook.com to a new local Windows account user name TexAl99 and if it was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 there may have even been an original third?

Windows obviously requires Administrator level access when users other than the original owner/creator are trying to make changes to files in such system-monitored folders. You could just try moving the databases and such to a folder outside Windows control (as has been suggested).

Elsewise, strongly suggest you just save your .RMGC files and backups to somewhere safe outside the "documents folder" and uninstall RootsMagic completely. Then reinstall while using the latest user account in effect now, start over creating a folder structure to copy those databases and backups, etc to. Once you get a working setup, point RM's folder settings to that location.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N