17 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

I got the newsletter which said to click the link to get version 7.0.7 for the Mac. I did but when I checked from the RootsMagic menu, I get Version 7.0 (13.0.1.27704). When I check from within RM->Help menu>About RM, I get Version 7.0.6 (16 July 2015). So, what should I do now? I followed the directions update from their link but that only got me to 7.0.6.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Well, I finally got 7.0.7. The directions aren't very clear, IMHO. Download first from the newsletter link to get to 7.0.6, then download the update from within RM.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#3 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Kathy,

I just downloaded the Mac Version via the links and checked immediately after install.  It was Version 7.0.7 so I think you may have got the old Version without the latest 'fixes'. 

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

RootsMagic forum, News and Information, Announcements:

http://forums.rootsm...-announcements/

7.0.7.0 - 7 August 2015

Fixed: Random crashes for some Mac users when switching to other screens (like a browser) and back to RM.  Note: Mac users need to download and install this update directly from our website rather than using the built-in updater because the Mac update includes additional fixes that aren't included in the built-in updater version.  Here is that direct download: http://files.rootsma...Magic-7-Mac.dmg

Newsletter:

RootsMagic and Mac

A number of users of the Mac version of RootsMagic reported an issue with random crashes, usually when they switched to a different screen (like switching to a browser for example).  This issue has been addressed with this 7.0.7.0 update.

Even though the "Update Available" indicator will be visible, it is important to actually download and install the Mac update directly from our site because the Mac update includes additional fixes that aren't included in the built-in updater version.

To install the update, click the link below to download the file to your Mac, then run the downloaded file to install the update.  You may be asked if you want to keep the old copy or replace it... choose to "Replace" the old copy.

http://files.rootsma...Magic-7-Mac.dmg

#5 munyama

munyama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

I just followed the link in the announcement - and only got 7.0.6

Then I went to the update page at RootsMagic.com - did a download from there - and told it to replace when it asked me if I wanted to keep original version - but still only got v 7.0.6

Any suggestions?

macbook pro running Yosemite

#6 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:50 AM

I just followed the link in the announcement - and only got 7.0.6
Then I went to the update page at RootsMagic.com - did a download from there - and told it to replace when it asked me if I wanted to keep original version - but still only got v 7.0.6

Any suggestions?
macbook pro running Yosemite

When you start RM 7.0.6.0, you should be prompted that there is an update available. Select that and it will download and update the 7.0.7.0 version. If you have hidden the "news screen", then you need to go into the Tools sub-menu and enable that option.

See Display News Screen under Tools/Program Options/General.

Alternatively, under Help, use the Check for Updates option.

Edited by J P, 10 August 2015 - 02:15 AM.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

To fix the Floating Point error with RootsMagic for Mac you need to download directly from our website. The update from with the program will not give all the files needed for the Mac. This is not the normal procedure, but needed this time around.

Try clearing your browser cache before downloading from the website and see if that helps. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 munyama

munyama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

OK - thank you for your suggestions Renee but I am still not getting v7.0.7 - maybe I am getting the instructions wrong?

Here is what I just did

1.  I cleared the image and data caches in Google Chrome - my browser of choice

2.  I exited from RootsMagic 7.0.6

3.  I downloaded using the link that Renee posted at 8.55 am Monday morning

4.  After downloading - I double clicked the file - dragged it to the applications folder - told it to replace existing program

and I got 7.0.6 ! - and the message that there is an update available 

Am I getting something wrong?

#9 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

OK - thank you for your suggestions Renee but I am still not getting v7.0.7 - maybe I am getting the instructions wrong?
Here is what I just did
1.  I cleared the image and data caches in Google Chrome - my browser of choice
2.  I exited from RootsMagic 7.0.6
3.  I downloaded using the link that Renee posted at 8.55 am Monday morning
4.  After downloading - I double clicked the file - dragged it to the applications folder - told it to replace existing program

and I got 7.0.6 ! - and the message that there is an update available 

Am I getting something wrong?

No, you are not getting anything wrong BUT you are not completing the process. You now need to do the update within the RM 7.0.6.0 that you have just started. Just follow the prompt and install the suggested update.

By following the link that Renee pointed at us, you download an update to MacBridge that installs the updated MacBridge and RM 7.0.6.0. The key here is the updated MacBridge code. You then use the newly installed RM 7.0.6.0 version to download the updated RM 7.0.7.0, which doesn't do anything to the MacBridge code. IF you had only upgraded to RM 7.0.7.0 from an existing RM 7.0.6.0 that was running under the original MacBridge 7, then you would not have updated the MacBridge code and hence not installed the fix for the "floating point error" problem.

#10 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

No, you are not getting anything wrong BUT you are not completing the process. You now need to do the update within the RM 7.0.6.0 that you have just started. Just follow the prompt and install the suggested update.

No!  The Mac download *IS* 7.0.7, so if they are getting 7.0.6 they aren't getting the latest download.  As soon as you install the Mac version, the Mac version number will be 7.01 (that's the version of the Crossover part of it), and the RM version (Help > About from the RM menu) will be 7.0.7.

I just downloaded the Mac version and it is the latest version.  If you are following the instructions and still not getting the latest version immediately upon downloading, your system probably has the old version cached in some way, or when you downloaded you ended up installing the old .dmg.  When you downloaded the original .dmg the first time you installed RM, if you didn't delete the .dmg after you installed the program, you will end up with 2 .dmg files after you download this new one (this new one probably was called something like RootsMagic-7-Mac(1).dmg.  If you then ran the old original RootsMagic-7-Mac.dmg you wouldn't have installed the new version.

So....

1. Make sure you have a backup of any RM data files
  2. Delete any and all RootsMagic .dmg files from your computer
  3. Drag and drop the RM application icon to your trashbin
  4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
  5. Type ~/Library/Application Support
  6. Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trashbin

That will completely uninstall RM7 *and* the Crossover stuff as well.

Now click http://files.rootsma...Magic-7-Mac.dmg to download the new version.  Then double click that file and drag the application to the application folder.

RootsMagician

#11 munyama

munyama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thank you Bruce - you are truly the RootsMagician!

That solved my problem. 

I did add one thing though - don't know if was really necessary - I emptied the Trash before installing

I will also warn my Mac friends - I have several  :)  - that they will need their registration key

Thank you for all that you do to make RootsMagic a great program

Munyama

#12 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

I did as suggested, although did not empty my mail, clicked on link provided above and it downloaded 7.0.1, not the 7.0.7. What happened?

#13 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

I did as suggested, although did not empty my mail, clicked on link provided above and it downloaded 7.0.1, not the 7.0.7. What happened?

Are you looking at the results of a Mac Get Info display against the RootsMagic in the Applications folder? That does indeed show 7.0.1, which is the level of the MacBridge code. You need to use the Help/About within the opened RM application to see the RM level, though in my case it is always displayed on a panel that pops up whilst opening RM before the News panel is displayed.

#14 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

You are correct. When I went in through Help/About, it has the 7.0.7. Thank you so much! You are awesome. :-)

Macs are a pain. I am so sorry I switched to a Mac as I have nothing but issues since I bought it and it's not all me. :-)

#15 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Oops! One problem. It does not let me open the full version. I tried clicking on the Regsiter the Program, enter my name & key but the Unlock button stays grayed out. Suggestion?

#16 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

Oops! One problem. It does not let me open the full version. I tried clicking on the Regsiter the Program, enter my name & key but the Unlock button stays grayed out. Suggestion?

Not sure I can help on this. Mine is already unlocked so all that selecting Help - Register RM - Register Online does is get me to the registration part of the RM website with my name and key already displayed. Have you used the correct formats for name and key, and tabbed after entering the key.

Looks like Renee may have to guide you on this.

PS A Mac is different and may take a little getting used to, but patience is often rewarded over time.

***** Which key are you entering? You need the one that starts with RM7- rather than the one starting with MAC7- that you were supplied to download MacBridge.  ******

Edited by J P, 12 August 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

The next time you restart RootsMagic you will see the option to enter your registration key. It's the very first screen that comes up.  The Help>Register RootsMagic inside the program just takes you to the options to register it with us, not to unlock the program itself.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 Will60S

Will60S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

No!  The Mac download *IS* 7.0.7, so if they are getting 7.0.6 they aren't getting the latest download.  As soon as you install the Mac version, the Mac version number will be 7.01 (that's the version of the Crossover part of it), and the RM version (Help > About from the RM menu) will be 7.0.7.

I just downloaded the Mac version and it is the latest version.  If you are following the instructions and still not getting the latest version immediately upon downloading, your system probably has the old version cached in some way, or when you downloaded you ended up installing the old .dmg.  When you downloaded the original .dmg the first time you installed RM, if you didn't delete the .dmg after you installed the program, you will end up with 2 .dmg files after you download this new one (this new one probably was called something like RootsMagic-7-Mac(1).dmg.  If you then ran the old original RootsMagic-7-Mac.dmg you wouldn't have installed the new version.

So....

1. Make sure you have a backup of any RM data files
  2. Delete any and all RootsMagic .dmg files from your computer
  3. Drag and drop the RM application icon to your trashbin
  4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
  5. Type ~/Library/Application Support
  6. Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trashbin

That will completely uninstall RM7 *and* the Crossover stuff as well.

Now click http://files.rootsma...Magic-7-Mac.dmg to download the new version.  Then double click that file and drag the application to the application folder.

The next time you restart RootsMagic you will see the option to enter your registration key. It's the very first screen that comes up.  The Help>Register RootsMagic inside the program just takes you to the options to register it with us, not to unlock the program itself.

Thanks for you help RootsMagician and Renee,

I just went through the whole procedure to upgrade my Roots Magic on my MAC and it did not work. Now it won't even let me register it with my registration name and key. I have opened and closed the program three times already.

Each time I open RootsMagic, I get three choices:

1) RootsMagic Essentials - Free Version

2) Purchase RootsMagic 7Full Version

3) Unlock RootsMagic 7 - Full Registered Version.

I choose the third option and I am taken to a dialog asking for my Name and Key. When I purchased the program two weeks ago, I got an email with that information. I have restarted the program three times already and entered the requested information. But it does not let me punch the grayed out 'Unlock' button.

It did successfully upgrade to 7.0.9 for me but I am essentially stuck with RootsMagic Essentials right now. How can I get it to be a registered version again?

Will Sopha

Update: I was going to simply delete this but if there is an option for that I could not find it. This is resolved. I had three emails in my Outlook inbox right next to each other all from RootsMagic Software. They were for Family Atlas, Family Historian, and RootsMagic. I was looking at the 'RootsMagic Software' thinking it was the subject line (actually it was the email address). Anyway, I was entering the wrong key for the Family Atlas rather than RootsMagic and that is why the Unlock button was remaining grayed out. All is good now.  :)