Photo

Best way save your pics on a Mac, iphotos or file on desktop?

Pics Pictures organize orgainizing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

In order to link with Rootsmagic.

I have a file on my desktop that I set up for my pictures labelled "Genealogy" but I have found my Mac has also deposited pdf files, movie files & a few other files in that folder. I had wanted ONLY my pics in that file. I did not put those other items in that folder.

What have other people done that has worked well for you for linking your pictures to RootsMagic? Suggestions appreciated.

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

If the other media stored in that folder are downloads then you are suffering from the 'Mac retained memory effect', i.e. Macs always remember the last location you saved a file to and will continue to use that location for further downloads/saves until you tell it to put files somewhere else.  This means you have to remain organised in managing downloads etc. no matter what folder structure you use for RootsMagic (or anything else); e.g. I tend to save all of my downloads to the Downloads Folder and then move them to their final destination as I use a multi-level folder structure to separate out different types of information.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

I don't know if its still this way, but it used to be that a lot of files on your Mac Desktop tended to slow down the computer. At any rate, I only use the Desktop as a temporary holding area for things I'm currently working on. All other files need to go in your Home Folder. I store all my genealogy files in a folder I call Family History Files. Within that are many, but the main ones are Surnames for all my documents filed under various surnames/given names; and my Genealogy Photos folder. By the way, if you want to have your Genealogy folder on the Desktop, I would create an alias of it to store there for easy access and move the original folder to your User/Home folder.

Kathy

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10