18 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

I am using RM7 under MacBridge ...... but I imagine that this question applies to all versions ..... I am currently updating and modifying the sentence templates in my Fact Type List. When I'm finished with it, is there a way to save a backup of this family file WITHOUT any people, just everything else such as the Fact Type List and Source Templates? That way I could use the "empty" file to import other files into as needed and have all the sentence and source templates I have worked on in place.

Thanks!

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Yes in RM 7.

Create a new database. Go to File, Import lists in the new database.

Pick the database you want to import the lists from and mark which lists to import.

User defined fact default sentences will be imported. You will need to copy and paste changed RM defined fact sentences, added roles, and role sentences from the other database as wanted.

Backup the new template database and restore it as you want to use it amd rename the new database. Or, just copy the database and give it your new database name. I just copy the template database.

#3 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

Thank you, Laura. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Kathy

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#4 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Yes in RM 7.

Create a new database. Go to File, Import lists in the new database.

Pick the database you want to import the lists from and mark which lists to import.

User defined fact default sentences will be imported. You will need to copy and paste changed RM defined fact sentences, added roles, and role sentences from the other database as wanted.

Backup the new template database and restore it as you want to use it amd rename the new database. Or, just copy the database and give it your new database name. I just copy the template database.

I just tried this and the sentences that I created for Fact Types are NOT being imported.  For instance, there was no default sentence for Alt. Birth so I made one in the Template file I created. From my main file, I did the Import Lists and chose the Template File and the lists I wanted. But it did not get imported into my main file.... that one still says [NEED TO DEFINE SENTENCE: Alt.Birth. Should this be imported as a User defined fact sentence? If it doesn't, then this Import Lists tool isn't as helpful as I thought it would be!

Kathy

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Alt Birth is not a built-in fact so its sentence template should import just fine. I just did a test, and it imported for me just fine. Are you sure that your Alt Birth fact had a sentence template in the original database? Are you sure you imported the fact list?

Jerry

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:14 PM

I've been thinking about this business of creating a new, blank database that has the complete environment of your old database, except with no people. For years, the wish from many users on this forum has been for a way to do a bulk delete of people from a database. There are several ways that such a feature would be useful. For example, you could just copy a database and then delete all the people from the copy of the database. Your new (and now empty) database would have the desired characteristic of having all the lists from your previous database.

RM has stated that they will never implement a bulk delete feature because of the danger that a user will do a bulk delete of everybody from their production database and not have a backup. I believe that a bulk delete could be made safe by incorporating a required backup into the bulk delete procedure. But I'm not the designer of RM and I'm not the vendor, so fair enough.

Nevertheless, I wonder if RM might consider the following to be safe enough. Suppose there was a new feature that could be invoked as File->Create blank database from current database. It would differ from the Import Lists process in that it would preserve everything from the old database except the people, including sentence template customizations from the old database. The old database would not be deleted, and indeed the old database would not be changed at all. Hence, there would be no bulk delete.

I very much appreciate the new Import Lists feature, but it doesn't  completely meet the need to create a new, blank database just like an existing one except with no people. The failure to include sentence template customizations for built-in facts in the Import Lists feature is a real killer for me.

Jerry

#7 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

Alt Birth is not a built-in fact so its sentence template should import just fine. I just did a test, and it imported for me just fine. Are you sure that your Alt Birth fact had a sentence template in the original database? Are you sure you imported the fact list?

Jerry

Yes to both.

Kathy

#8 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

I've been thinking about this business of creating a new, blank database that has the complete environment of your old database, except with no people. For years, the wish from many users on this forum has been for a way to do a bulk delete of people from a database. There are several ways that such a feature would be useful. For example, you could just copy a database and then delete all the people from the copy of the database. Your new (and now empty) database would have the desired characteristic of having all the lists from your previous database.

RM has stated that they will never implement a bulk delete feature because of the danger that a user will do a bulk delete of everybody from their production database and not have a backup. I believe that a bulk delete could be made safe by incorporating a required backup into the bulk delete procedure. But I'm not the designer of RM and I'm not the vendor, so fair enough.

Nevertheless, I wonder if RM might consider the following to be safe enough. Suppose there was a new feature that could be invoked as File->Create blank database from current database. It would differ from the Import Lists process in that it would preserve everything from the old database except the people, including sentence template customizations from the old database. The old database would not be deleted, and indeed the old database would not be changed at all. Hence, there would be no bulk delete.

I very much appreciate the new Import Lists feature, but it doesn't  completely meet the need to create a new, blank database just like an existing one except with no people. The failure to include sentence template customizations for built-in facts in the Import Lists feature is a real killer for me.

Jerry

Jerry, I TOTALLY agree with your idea! There has to be something that can be done in future versions to implement the ideas you put forth. Other programs have accomplished it. For example, Reunion 11 for Macs, allows you to export a Family File and you choose the options ..... to save all or a portion of people, sources, multimedia, and Logs. This allows you to export a blank family file with no people but that includes sources with their types and fields (templates). It's very helpful once you've gotten one family file set up the way you want it. Hopefully, RM will consider something like it.

Kathy

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

Have a look at http://sqlitetoolsfo... Lists to Shellfor an outboard procedure that RootsMagic could implement if so inclined...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

Tom ..... I'm guessing this will not work on a Mac on RM under MacBridge?

Kathy

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Tom ..... I'm guessing this will not work on a Mac on RM under MacBridge?

I guess that is correct but maybe there is a Mac OS SQLite manager that could process the script provided it can access the database.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

How about an option on the Import List to over-ride the default sentence templates? I just added that as an enhancement request in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

That would be great and give the user the choice.

I hope you included Principle default sentences, added roles and role sentences to be transferred in the override.

#14 Bill Peacock

Bill Peacock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

Before RM7 I would create a new person called *Templet Person and add my user defined facts to him, then if I opened a new RM file I would add that person to the file and the User defined facts would come with him.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

That would be great and give the user the choice.

I hope you included Principle default sentences, added roles and role sentences to be transferred in the override.

I just added it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Renee

Thinking some more about it perhaps it could be two choices.

One to transfer Principle sentences.

And, one to transfer roles and role aentences.

#17 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

In previous versions of RM, I had added Research logs that would normally be General research logs to a dummy person so I could transfer those Research logs into another database.

Import files transfers the General Research logs.  So, I wanted to change those logs to a General log instead of a person log.

It turned out to be easy.

On Lists, Research Manager, highlight and Edit the Research log.  Choose General from the Who or what is this log for.

Then, I transferred those General Research logs into my template database.

#18 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

How about an option on the Import List to over-ride the default sentence templates? I just added that as an enhancement request in our tracking system. 

That sounds good, but my sense is that even it were to be implemented it would leave something out and my proposed File->Create blank database from current database feature would not leave anything out.

Jerry

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

I just tried this and the sentences that I created for Fact Types are NOT being imported.  For instance, there was no default sentence for Alt. Birth so I made one in the Template file I created. From my main file, I did the Import Lists and chose the Template File and the lists I wanted. But it did not get imported into my main file.... that one still says [NEED TO DEFINE SENTENCE: Alt.Birth. Should this be imported as a User defined fact sentence? If it doesn't, then this Import Lists tool isn't as helpful as I thought it would be!

When you import fact lists from database 2 to database 1, the fact sentences already entered in database 1 will not be changed.

This saves us from having sentence changes that we don't want to change in database 1.  I may not want sentences automatically changed in an existing database.

Since we don't have a choice so we can decide whether sentences should be replaced, I prefer RM to not change the sentences in an existing database.