• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jpoole

jpoole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:36 AM

The Internet/Generate files for a website... feature would be ideal to use for our One-Name Study website, except:

1.  All the pedigree presentations seem to be oriented to "ancestors of", and for a one-name study I need the presentation to be "descendants of" instead.  I cannot find any way to present that way- am I missing something?

2.  Comments I read on this forum seem to indicate that this Internet feature, at least as regards creating files that I can use on our website, is no longer of interest to RootsMagic and likely to disappear.  If so, I would be reluctant to use the feature, even if it worked as I need.

The people managing our One-Name Study all use RootsMagic, so it would be very good if we could get the Internet feature to work the way we need, and to persist as an option not tied to a RootsMagic site.  But I gather this is not likely to happen?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

Use the RootsMagic 6 style option instead. Its under Internet>Generate files for a website...  Then upload the files to your own server. It will include everyone in the database for your surname study.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

The Internet/Generate files for a website... feature would be ideal to use for our One-Name Study website, except:

1.  All the pedigree presentations seem to be oriented to "ancestors of", and for a one-name study I need the presentation to be "descendants of" instead. 

A pedigree chart is, by definition, the ancestors of one individual: 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, etc.

A descendants chart begins with a prior ancestor-couple, and lists all of their descendants. Since family groups have varying numbers of siblings, it is not possible to create a descendants tree with anything like the simplicity of a pedigree chart (except perhaps if you are charting a family line with all single-child families...)

Have you looked at Reports - Charts - Wall Charts and experimented with the options to see what RM can generate for you?

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

Perhaps to all the earliest forbears of the surname you can add the same father, named... DOE Surname Study.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Father: Surname Doe [Dummy person]
Child: A Doe. [Dummy person]
Children of A. [link each person whose given name starts with A and surnane is Doe as a child of A Doe]

Continue adding a child to Surname Doe for each letter of the alphabet or mwke smaller divisions if needed

Arramge the children in alphabetical order.

I have one dummy person with 106 children linked so far, but I don't know if there is a final limit of children for one person. It would get very time consuming to rearrange a great amount of children by alphabet.

If you are also linking people by lineage lines, create another dummy person, perhaps Lineage Doe and follow kbensOn's suggestion linking the earliest forebear of a each different Doe lineage to the dummy Lineage Doe person.

In RM, a person can have more that one set of parents.

Choose Surname Doe or Lineage Doe as the beginning person for a Descendants report or Narrative report.

#6 jpoole

jpoole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

Thank you all for the replies, but I'm afraid I don't see any practical way to make RootsMagic work for us in your replies.  Too bad, it would have been a simple solution, but apparently what we need is outside the scope of RM.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Well, you could always not link any person in the database to a parent and print an Individual report instead of a Descendant or Narrative report.

I searched the internet for one name study program, and found some sites which talks about various programs being used for one name studies.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Let's see if I'm understanding your requirement correctly. Suppose you have a Samuel Doe who was born about 1750 or so and you have a few hundred of his descendants. Suppose you have a John Doe who was born about 1770 or so and you have a few hundred of his descendants. And suppose you have a William Doe who was born about 1790 or so and you have a few hundred of his descendants. And finally suppose that so far as anybody knows, your Samuel, John, and William are all completely unrelated to each other. So you want a single Web site that has Samuel and all his descendants, John and all his descendants, and William and all his descendants. Essentially you would have three different descendant narrative reports, but you would want a single index with all the names. Does that about sum it up (except that you would probably have many more than three lines in your one name study)?

Jerry

#9 jpoole

jpoole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

Well, you could always not link any person in the database to a parent and print an Individual report instead of a Descendant or Narrative report.

I searched the internet for one name study program, and found some sites which talks about various programs being used for one name studies.

Some of the English One-Name groups do use a specialized application, but for most of us the traditional applications like RootsMagic are fine for maintaining the data.  In fact the project manager I'm working with uses RootsMagic.  The only place where RM fails us is in the Internet option.  Most ordinary people want to display their ancestors on their websites and that is what RM does.  One-Name studies tend to want to display a distant ancestor pair and his & her descendants, and I suppose until now there weren't enough of these studies to interest RM.  But judging by the Internet, they are increasing in number.

#10 jpoole

jpoole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

Let's see if I'm understanding your requirement correctly. Suppose you have a Samuel Doe who was born about 1750 or so and you have a few hundred of his descendants. Suppose you have a John Doe who was born about 1770 or so and you have a few hundred of his descendants. And suppose you have a William Doe who was born about 1790 or so and you have a few hundred of his descendants. And finally suppose that so far as anybody knows, your Samuel, John, and William are all completely unrelated to each other. So you want a single Web site that has Samuel and all his descendants, John and all his descendants, and William and all his descendants. Essentially you would have three different descendant narrative reports, but you would want a single index with all the names. Does that about sum it up (except that you would probably have many more than three lines in your one name study)?

Jerry

No, that is not quite right.  See the response to Laura, above.  If RM's Internet - build web pages option allowed me to generate a site with the option "descendant chart with group sheets" I would be be busy getting our website updated now instead of haunting message boards ;)

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

No, that is not quite right.  See the response to Laura, above.  If RM's Internet - build web pages option allowed me to generate a site with the option "descendant chart with group sheets" I would be be busy getting our website updated now instead of haunting message boards ;)

You could certainly post your desire in the RootsMagic Wish List sub-forum, but it's implementation would not be guaranteed and even if it were programmed into RM ...it might be multiple years from now. That obviously would enter into your decision process going forward.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

We won't be making any changes to the HTML generated websites. I don't see why the new Publish Online website doesn't work. You can still use the RM6 style ones and have them on your own server. That website adds everyone in your database if you want.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

We won't be making any changes to the HTML generated websites. I don't see why the new Publish Online website doesn't work. You can still use the RM6 style ones and have them on your own server. That website adds everyone in your database if you want.

Hi Renee,

I'm just wondering in what context the statement was made. Was it:

1. pertaining only to this discussion.
  2. to be taken literally that there won't be any forthcoming changes to HTML generated websites in future releases of RM.
  3. to be taken that there won't be any changes to HTML generated websites as of the current release of RM. (No patches.)
  4. or...

TomD

It's been real... It's been fun...

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

My recollection of prior statements from RootsMagic is that it is #2 which includes #3.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Internet, MyRootsMagic (Publish Online), is the new format in Version 7 to use when uploading to RootsMagic's hosting website.  If Publish Online is updated, it will be this format.

Internet, Generate files for a website, was in Version 6.  It can be used to create a  HTML that can be uploaded to other websites.  It will not be updated.

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

Laura and TomH are correct. We announced no future changes will be made to the HTML style websites in updates or versions. Changes will only be made to the RootsMagic 7 style My RootsMagic (Publish Online) websites.

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Since I simply couldn't accept what I was reading, I had to wait a couple days before typing anything.

Words cannot begin to describe my thoughts at this moment. I'm devastated.

TomD

#18 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Laura and TomH are correct. We announced no future changes will be made to the HTML style websites in updates or versions. Changes will only be made to the RootsMagic 7 style My RootsMagic (Publish Online) websites.

There's a terminology problem here. There are really three kinds of websites that can be produced with RM, not just two.

The HTML websites go all the way back to RootsMagic version 1. Indeed, they go all the way back to Family Origins days. These are the kind of websites that are not going to be updated. They have also been described as being deprecated. Normally, that is the terminology that vendors use when a future release will not include a feature. But so far as I know, RM has not yet announced the actual end of of the feature - just that the feature will no longer be updated. Still, I would not be surprised if the next release of RM does not include the feature (or the next next release, etc.). The HTML websites do have the advantages that they can be loaded onto any Web hosting service that hosts HTML pages, and that they are searchable via Google and  other search engines. But they cannot be loaded onto RM's own MyRootsMagic web site. There are no limits to how many such pages you can produce nor on how large they can be as long as you have a place to host them.

There are two kinds of "RootsMagic 7 style" websites (or maybe they should be called "RootsMagic 6 style" web sites). The older of the two is based on XML. Such pages can be loaded onto any Web hosting service that hosts HTML pages. But the pages are not searchable via Google and other search engines. And, I do not believe that such pages can be loaded onto RM's own MyRootsMagic web site. There are no limits to how many such pages you can produce nor on how large they can be as long as you have a place to host them.

The newer of the two actually loads your RM database onto the Web site and builds the pages that are displayed dynamically based on queries against the copy of your database that is loaded onto the Web site. The pages are searchable via Google and other search engines. They can be loaded onto RM's own MyRootsMagic web site, but I do not believe they can be loaded anywhere else. Because the MyRootsMagic web site is a free service provided by RM, such Web sites are limited as to number of sites and size of sites.

No one of the three solutions meets all needs. For example, if you want a web site that is unlimited in size, you cannot use the MyRootsMagic web site. That leaves you with the option of the XML pages which are not searchable with Google and with the HTML pages which have been deprecated. Plus, I very much prefer the look and feel of the HTML pages to the look and feel of either of the other options (I believe I'm very much in the minority in this preference, by they way). But in any case, I really hope that the HTML pages do not go away until there is an option that is searchable via Google and other search engines and that is not limited in size nor as to where it may be hosted.

Jerry

#19 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:10 AM

I decided ages ago that RM's website tools were not suitable for my use / preferences - and newer versions seem to be moving in the wrong direction from my point of view - so I use RM to store all my research and a 'stand alone' programme to create my website.

Bob

#20 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

Bob, will you share with us the name of the 'stand alone' program you use to create your website?

TomD