• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lacrkeb

lacrkeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

I am nowhere near tech savvy so not sure how all this will work.  I have an ancestry.com account but, with Windows 10 and Edge, I cannot use the FTM program and have been looking for another.  I think I will like Roots Magic but have some questions. 

1.  Do I still need to pay the monthly/yearly charge to search ancestry.com thru Roots Magic or can I cancel my sub to ancestry.com?  Are there other sites that offer the same info as ancestry.com?

2.  Can I upload what I've already started on ancestry.com to Roots Magic or do I need to start over?

3.  Can I attach facts/media such as info from Find a Grave to an individual on Roots Magic?

4.  Does Roots Magic have a "hint" system like ancestry does or do I need to search for facts on each individual person?

5.  If I upload a Roots Magic tree to ancestry will all the facts/media upload also?  If I make changes can I sync the 2 trees or do I have to manually make changes to both?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

1a. Yes, your Ancestry subscription is separate from RM - I'd recommend keeping it.

1b. In addition to Ancestry I refer to several other sites daily or weekly, and others maybe monthly or quarterly. What you seek will influence where you look....

2. You can download a GEDCOM from Ancestry that can be imported to RM, but you'll find a variety of issues caused by the differing implementations of the GEDCOM standards, use of sources, linked images, etc. It'll be some work - search these forums for some extended conversations about the process.

3. Just about ANYTHING can be attached or linked to your RM records.

4. RM has some hinting capabilities built in for FamilySearch and for MyHeritage. I don't use either of them. But, again, search these forums, and you'll find some fairly complete discussions of the pros and cons.

5. You won't upload an RM file to Ancestry, you'll export a GEDCOM from RM and upload that to Ancestry. It's not as smooth a procedure as some folks would like, and YES you'll find it important to review and edit both versions of your tree. I don't post a tree on Ancestry, but comments by other forum users make it apparent that you will not sync your RM & Ancestry trees, you'll be doing a lot of separate managing and entering of data.