• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glroberts

glroberts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

I have noted that since I downloaded Windows 10 that  the WEBSEARCH Function does not work within RM. It only seems to work when you select "use external browser".  Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Works fine when selecting external browser and uses the new Microsoft Edge. 

Gary

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

http://forums.rootsm...ows-10/?p=73417

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

RootsMagic Software and Windows 10 blog article updated

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/

"Important Update: Apparently Microsoft snuck in a last-minute change that didn’t exist in earlier test versions and the upgrade has been a little bumpier than we had expected.  There is a Windows registry entry needed in Windows 10 to allow programs to display data using the internal browser component (again, it was working in Windows 10 preview builds).  This prevents the internal WebSearch from working, certain text appearing on some screens, and backing up to Dropbox and Google Drive.

We will address this problem in our next update. In the meantime, we’ve put together a quick fix that corrects the problem now. To apply the fix:

1. Download the .REG file from files.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic-Win10-Browser-Fix.reg

2. Run the .REG file to add the necessary entries to your Windows registry. It will display several scary warnings. Just keep telling it that “yes”, you do want to make the change.

The fix will work for RootsMagic 4, 5, 6, and 7 and IS ONLY NEEDED IF YOU ARE RUNNING ROOTSMAGIC UNDER WINDOWS 10."

#4 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

Mystery of the Disappearing Citation Text solved.

#5 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

Boy... I switch to RM just in time. Windows 10 is playing havoc on my FTM file. Fortunately the only problem I noticed with RM7 was the "disappearing citation text"... now fixed.

Kari

#6 ejbates

ejbates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

I haven't tried to do anything under reports in over a year and now all I get is error messages. The most common error message is "there is no default printer currently selected". I tried to go into printer setup with that same message. I also get other error messages as well. I've restarted my computer, did everything under database tools, updated to the latest version and so forth. Is RM working with windows 10? Is that the issue?

#7 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

Printing in Win 10 - I posted the notes below in the RM6 forum, I assume the solution could be the same with RM7:-

Windows installed the 'Anniversary Update' on my PC last week and when I came to print from RM all I got were error messages even though I could print from other applications.

In case anybody else trips over this the solution turned out to be in Windows turn off the option 'Let Windows manage default printer' and manually select any connected printer or PDF printer as the default and now RM prints just fine :-)

#8 ejbates

ejbates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

Printing in Win 10 - I posted the notes below in the RM6 forum, I assume the solution could be the same with RM7:-

Windows installed the 'Anniversary Update' on my PC last week and when I came to print from RM all I got were error messages even though I could print from other applications.

In case anybody else trips over this the solution turned out to be in Windows turn off the option 'Let Windows manage default printer' and manually select any connected printer or PDF printer as the default and now RM prints just fine :-)

​I gave it a try and still get the same error message.  I don't even want to print, I just want to bring up the report.  Another issue I am having is trying to open a book or create a book in Publisher.  The message I get is :Access violation @ address 00F5547E in module 'RootsMagic.exe'  Read of address 00000008"

If I was to uninstall and re-install, would that fix the issues?  Would I lose all of my data by doing so?  I do have a lot of backups saved on my computer and a USB... but I don't want to lose my database as I have over 3400 people in it.

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

THe process of uninstalling and re-installing RM won't affect your existing database. That's because your database is not stored in the Program Files folder. Many users store their database under My Documents, while others establish a separate root-level folder on their hard drive. But since Windows can be confusing for some users, it is absolutely a good idea to do a current backup in RM, then copy that file to a separate backup drive (a CD or DVD or USB stick). Caution is a good thing.

#10 ejbates

ejbates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

THe process of uninstalling and re-installing RM won't affect your existing database. That's because your database is not stored in the Program Files folder. Many users store their database under My Documents, while others establish a separate root-level folder on their hard drive. But since Windows can be confusing for some users, it is absolutely a good idea to do a current backup in RM, then copy that file to a separate backup drive (a CD or DVD or USB stick). Caution is a good thing.

Thanks!  I did uninstall and reinstall and that didn't resolve any of the issues either.  I submitted an email to the techs, hopefully they can come up with a solution.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

If you have a printer installed you will want to make sure the print drivers are up-to-date.

Renee
RootsMagic