• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 the lady reads

the lady reads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Does Roots Magic 6 work with the new Windows 10?  If so, does this include the photos already referenced in Roots Magic 6 while Windows 7 is the operating system?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

Renee has said the RM 4 works in Windows 10 and RM 7 works so there should not be any problems with RM 6 including media.

The database structure didn't change from RM 6 to RM 7. We can even open the same database in either version.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Late last night Microsoft released an update to Windows 10. This has broken several features in RM version 4-7. We will be putting out an update to RM7 to fix this. For version 4-6 we will not release and update, since we never update older version. We will be releasing a file to download to add a fix to your registry that resolves the issues cause with the new Windows 10 update. Watch the forums, and I'm sure our mailing lists to see when we have the file ready for you to download. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

The question I am sure will be asked now is if the uodate of Version 7 will still work in previous versions of Windows?

#5 the lady reads

the lady reads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

When I updated to Roots Magic 6, I lost all of the links to my images, and had to delete and re-enter ALL OF THEM.  Horrible.  So therefore I have not so far updated to RootsMagic 7....afraid that the same thing would happen.  So now, you are telling me that if I want Windows 10 I must use Roots Magic 7.  I currently have Windows 8.  Can you tell me whether I can go to Roots Magic 7 without losing all of my images again?

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3259 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

Can you tell me whether I can go to Roots Magic 7 without losing all of my images again?

All RootsMagic does is keep a list of the file NAMES and their folder locations
(it does NOT store the photos)
If you don't move them OR rename them, RM won't say they are missing ("lost")
BUT, if you DO move them and DO NOT rename them, RM has an option to search/find/update their locations.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

And the issue with Windows 10 that won't be fixed for RM6 and earlier according to Renee has to do with those functions using the internal web browser, e.g., WebSearch. Nothing to do with media...

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

RootsMagic Software and Windows 10 blog article updated

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/

"Important Update: Apparently Microsoft snuck in a last-minute change that didn’t exist in earlier test versions and the upgrade has been a little bumpier than we had expected.  There is a Windows registry entry needed in Windows 10 to allow programs to display data using the internal browser component (again, it was working in Windows 10 preview builds).  This prevents the internal WebSearch from working, certain text appearing on some screens, and backing up to Dropbox and Google Drive.

We will address this problem in our next update. In the meantime, we’ve put together a quick fix that corrects the problem now. To apply the fix:

1. Download the .REG file from files.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic-Win10-Browser-Fix.reg

2. Run the .REG file to add the necessary entries to your Windows registry. It will display several scary warnings. Just keep telling it that “yes”, you do want to make the change.

The fix will work for RootsMagic 4, 5, 6, and 7 and IS ONLY NEEDED IF YOU ARE RUNNING ROOTSMAGIC UNDER WINDOWS 10."

#9 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

I upgraded to Win 10 just last week and have just been trying RM6 with it just now - so far almost all seems to work OK (not applied the Reg fix) only place I did get error messages was when trying to create html files - is this the bug?    Its not a feature I use so can I ignore the 'fix' or are there other problems I have not stumbled over yet?

Bob

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

Install the REG fix. It should resolve the issue for you.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Ah-ha!
This looks like the problem that I mentioned in another thread (in re: websearch not working on RM6 in W10)
I wish that I'd stumbled across this thread earlier!

MT ;)

Looking for Pashby, Bird, Sedman, Sutton and Dobson in Scarborough, UK

#12 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

Just a brief update - I have still not applied 'the fix', but creating html files now works as does everything I have tried.

Windows 10 appears to have applied some updates recently ('auto update' is on) so perhaps one of these fixed the bugs?

#13 MansfieldTerrier

MansfieldTerrier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

The .REG file fix has sorted out both the WebSearch issue and also the pictures not showing up on shareable CDs.

My grateful thanks go to all of those who took the time to reply to my posts.

MT ;)

Looking for Pashby, Bird, Sedman, Sutton and Dobson in Scarborough, UK

#14 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

Windows installed the 'Anniversary Update' on my PC last week and when I came to print from RM all I got were error messages even though I could print from other applications.

In case anybody else trips over this the solution turned out to be in Windows turn off the option 'Let Windows manage default printer' and manually select any connected printer or PDF printer as the default and now RM prints just fine :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows 10