10 replies to this topic

#1 greenarmy

greenarmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:41 AM

Hi,

Can anyone help me I have imported a GEDCOM from Ancestry and downloaded some of the bits I want, only to find out that some of the GEDCOM file have Duplicate people (2 or 3) sometimes, now imported onto my RM4 Family Tree and I cannot just delete one without all the people with the same name being lost at the same time. Is there a way to sort this problem out.

Regards

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

It sounds like you may not have duplicate people, but rather that you might have the same person linked multiple times. The first step is to determine for sure whether it's duplicate people or duplicate links for the same person. Tools -> File Options -> Number to display after name -> Record number (RIN) to display the record number for each person.

Look at your "duplicate people" to see if they have the same or different record numbers. After doing so, please report whether your "duplicate people" have the same or different record numbers. The approach to solving the problem will be different depending on which case it is.

Jerry

#3 greenarmy

greenarmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick reply, I'll follow what you state and see how it goes.

Terry

#4 greenarmy

greenarmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi Jerry

I have just gone though what you have stated and found that the imported RIN numbers have the same no. for all duplicates. On one person I had five duplicates.

Terry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

This webinar will explain the different types of linking issues and how to resolve them.

40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

Then you have people linked multiple times rather than having duplicate people. And the fact that you don't really have duplicate people is why deleting any one of the people that were multiply linked deleted all the occurrences of the person, because the person was really only in your database one time.

It's hard to suggest the exact kind of unlinking you need to do to fix the problem without seeing your database, but I would definitely suggest watching Webinar 40 on fixing incorrect family links  http://files.rootsma...-RootsMagic.mp4

Jerry

#7 greenarmy

greenarmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

I have looked at the Webinar #40 and it does not help if I need to remove all the duplicates, can anyone explain what the blue and white boxes that are on the LHS of the Index of people mean (they are not on all the names)

Terry 

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1141 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

In the left side Index, you can show all of the individuals (and optionally) all of the Alternate Names.  A blue box with a white plus sign indicates an alternate name. Look under the [Options] button for the Index, and see if you'd like to set up the Index differently than it currently appears.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

...can anyone explain what the blue and white boxes that are on the LHS of the Index of people mean (they are not on all the names)

Individuals with one or More <Alternate name> fact(s) assigned to them will show a default color blue&white box to the left of their ALTERNATE NAME in the Sidebar Index IF that option is checkmarked on the Index tab (click far left top sidebar tab w/single person icon on it). Look for the Options button near the top.

EDIT: Ha! zhangrau was more direct and quicker in answering ...I left this open to answer and went to take a cupo'coffee out of the microwave. Didn't recheck to see if it had been answered yet ;-)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1141 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

Sometimes help swoops in from multiple directions !!

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

On the Sidebar Index, People view, and Rootsmagic Explorer lists, the names with the blue and white icons are the names entered into an Aternate name fact in a person's Edit person screen.

You can hide them by unchecking the box on Sidebar, Options or unchecking the box on the People view or RootsMagic Explorer screens.

The name entered in an Alternate name fact is treated as a Name for the purposes of showing in the index lists and in search.

When you highlight the Alternate name on an index list, the focus goes to the person who has that Alternate fact linked in their record. The record number shown for an Alternate name is the same as that of the person.