11 replies to this topic

#1 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

Questions on linking media:

When transferring RootsMagic 7 files to another computer, how come the media doesn't link up with the files, even if I transfer the media folder with it?

Will I have to link each person with their photo again?  Anyone have any idea how to do this without having to add the media again for each person.

Any suggestions?  Or this is one of the problems with moving RootsMagic 7 files to another computer.

Thanks.

Bill

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

You don't provide much info....

Did you transfer your RM databases and media folder from C: on the old computer to D: or E: on the new computer?

If yes, then there are two ways to "fix" this problem:

A. Go to Search - Search and Replace - Multimedia filenames

Search for: C:

Replace with: D: (or whatever is the new drive)

[OK]

B. Go to Lists - Media Gallery - [Tools] - Fix broken media links

Select the new drive location for the media folder

[OK]

Caution: the second method is likely to experience issues if you use the same name for two or more media files. In that case, you're advised to use the first method.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

Go to File>Backup and include the option "Backup media files". Then on the new computer restore that backup and confirm you want the media files too. It will then place all the media in a separate media folder created inside the folder you restored your backup to.  All the media links will be linked to them inside of this folder. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Okay.  I transferred the databases to the other computer by using RootsMagic 7 To Go.  I did put the folder with the media materials on the same thumbdrive. The databases were easily transferred.  However when I opened the file, there was an X on the media file.  My question is:  Do I have to upload each media file again for each person, by using the add media button.

Thank you.

#5 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

Renee,

I tried backing up database and media folder by trying your suggestions.  However, the media folder didnt copy onto the removable drive.

How do I get my media folder to transfer from the old computer to the new one?

I am not sure how to do this... 

Thank you.

Bill

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

RootsMagic only saves the path to the media file in the program. If you change the pat:, RootsMagic doesn't know where to find the file intil you correct the path.

RootsMagic to go only syncs the database to the jump drove and then back to a new computer. It doesn't save the media to the jump driv3 from the old computer or save the media from the jump drive to the new computer.

Go to Windows Explorer and copy your video files to the jump drive on the old computer.

Put the jump drive into the new computer and go to Wimdows Explorer amd copy the media files to the new computer.

If you put the media folders in the same file path they were in on the old computer, you won't even need to change the file path in RM on the new computer.

Say, my media files are in subfolders under a A Media folder and the path to A Media is C:\A Media on the old computer

I copy the A Media folder and all it's sub folders to the jump drive.

When I copy the A Media and sub folders from the jump drive to the new computer and put the A Media folder and the sub folders under C:\ again, I don't even have to change the paths in RM on the new computer.

Or, if I put the A Media and subfolders somewhere else, I can go to Search, Search and replace and choose Multimedia file names. Enter the part of the path name from the old computer that will be changed in the Search for box. Emter the new part of the path that is changed on the new computer in the Replace with box.

If you use Search and Replace, practice in a Play database before doing it in your main database.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

There are several things here that are making the discussion a little bit confusing.

• RootsMagic To Go is not designed to move RM from one computer to another. It's designed to use RM temporarily on a second computer while the primary database is still on the first computer. While RM is being used temporarily on the a second computer, the RM database is still on a removable media such as a USB thumb drive and so, too, is the RM software. No part of the RM database or the RM software is really installed on the second computer. The intent is then to take the USB thumb drive back to the first computer to update the database on the first computer.
  • You could use RootsMagic To Go to move RM from one computer to another, I suppose. But you would still have to go through the normal software installation process for RM on the second computer and you would have to copy the RM database from the USB thumb drive to the second computer yourself.
  • The conventional way to move RM from one computer to another is to do a backup on the first computer and do a restore on the second computer. Before doing a restore on the second computer, you will have to install the RM software on the second computer.
  • Historically, RM's backup/restore process did not backup the media from the first computer and restore the media to the second computer for you. You had to do that yourself. However, there is a relative new RM feature in backup/restore that will include the media for you. That's what Renee is talking about.
  • The relatively new RM feature that will include media in a backup/restore will not preserve the folder structure for your media. All the media will be in one giant folder on the second computer. If having one giant folder for media on the second computer is ok with you (or if your already had one giant folder for media on your first computer), then RM's backup/restore with media is what you want. Otherwise, you will still want to move the media yourself to preserve the folder structure of your media files.

Jerry

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

I have RootsMagic 7 on my tablet and on my husband's laptop.

If I want to, I can sync my database from my tablet to a jump drive or SD card.  Plug the database into the laptop and sync the database.    Sync the database from the laptop back to the jump drive and sync the database  back to the tablet.

Or, I could manually copy the database to the jump drive and computers instead of syncing by RootsMagic To Go.

I much prefer working from the laptop hard drive if am going to be working on the laptop for any extended time period.  If I have a jump drive failure, I won't lose a lot of work on the jump drive.

I only work from a jump drive on someone else's computer.  And, then, I copy the changed database to more than one jump drive.

It isn't any different syncing the database to a new computer.

I haven't transferred a database to a new computer using Backup since jump drives got large enough to hold all my database.  I just transfer a copy.  Traditionally, I did Backups instead of just copying the database because the file size is smaller and the file size was an issue.

I don't see there is any difference in the odds either type of file will get corrupted in the transfer.  In fact, a Backup file might be the most iffy as a Backup zips and unzips the database, and I have had several Backups get corrupted and not be useable over the years.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

I don't see there is any difference in the odds either type of file will get corrupted in the transfer.  In fact, a Backup file might be the most iffy as a Backup zips and unzips the database, and I have had several Backups get corrupted and not be useable over the years.

...all eggs in one basket is riskier in that respect.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

Always!

But, it isn't whether we copy the database or use Backup that keeps us safe.

That is why I also save a gedcom and also transfer that to a new computer. I also save a new gedcom with any copies of the database saved for backups amd those files along with backups of my media files and previous gedcoms and archival copies of the database are saved to the new computer and to more than one storage device and family members computers.

And, it is all backed up on Dropbox and other online storage.

When I was backing up by creating a Backup rather thsn copying the database, I also made the gedcom. It is nice to have when the backup or database copy isn't good and you have put yourself in the position of needing to use the gedcom.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

That's a very comprehensive strategy and worth reiterating the reason you do the GEDCOM export as a surety: the database has been known to get subtly corrupted in a way that one's normal pattern of usage would not encounter but the export could. That said, the database integrity check under Files > Database Tools probably would detect it and others that even GEDCOM would not.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

Here are some videos that will be helpful.

Copying a RootsMagic Database to Another Computer

Fixing Broken Media Links in RootsMagic

What's New in RootsMagic 7

00:59:30 – Backup with Media
            01:00:24 – Restore Backup with Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ybuoDgXkg

Renee
RootsMagic