• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

I'm working on preparing a file in The Master Genealogist (TMG 7) to import into RM 7, and would love on advice on whether to remove all my sensitive and excluded data "-" and "--" in TMG before import? Specifically...

Most of my addresses have the country as  -USA, so I can easily exclude USA from printing in TMG reports.  Should I remove the "-", and should I replace with just USA?  United States?

In most married names (Name-Marr tags), I have the woman's maiden surname in the Suffix field as, e.g., -(Smith).  Should I just delete all these entirely?

I'm guessing I should also remove all "--" in TMG for excluding sensitive data?

Michelle

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6214 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

RootsMagic has no equivalent to the "-" suppressor in place and people names. I expect it will import "-USA" unchanged and you can use its Search and Replace function to change that string to something else. Its County Check feature will always suggest the unabbreviated name for USA.

I don't know about the "--" control. If it is a privacy control used in TMG Memo fields, I expect RM will convert it to its privacy control code"{...}". If used elsewhere, it will treat it literally.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Thanks very much!

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6214 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

I should add that you can find out what happens for yourself with no financial outlay by downloading the free RootsMagic Essentials and try the import.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

Thanks, no problem there. I have RM 7.0.6.0, and have been trying the import repeatedly while tweaking things in TMG, since I'm more comfortable editing there for now.

I'm working on sources now, and just made my first very simple custom report for just birth date and place for one person so I can work on those sources first. Is there an easy way to make this simple report include Endnotes?  I could use the Individual report, but it's very long.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3530 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

RM custom reports do not include citations. For your experimentation with one person, you will need to use something like the individual report or maybe a one generation descendant narrative report.

Jerry

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

I customized the Toolbar and added Narratives reports to it.  That opens the Narrative report set up screen from the Toolbar.

I usually leave the generations option set as one or two and don't include notes when checking sentences and sources.

I also have Family Group Sheet on the Toolbar which also works for checking out how sources will print.

#8 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thank you both. The one generation narrative is helpful.  Re adding the FGS or narrative report icon to the existing toolbar, I got as far opening the Customize window, but couldn't figure out to add FGS or narrative button?

A more major question on how my sources are importing... I'm having trouble figuring out why some sources, such as censuses, are importing very well, and others not as well?  For example, for a few unpublished manuscripts, RM is picking up my fields for Title and Publish Date, but not Author? Also missing, e.g., [SUBJECT] and other fields on many vital records.  

Thanks,

Michelle

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3530 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

Thank you both. The one generation narrative is helpful.  Re adding the FGS or narrative report icon to the existing toolbar, I got as far opening the Customize window, but couldn't figure out to add FGS or narrative button?

You use the mouse to drag the desired icon to the Toolbar. Drop the icon where you want it to appear in the Toolbar.

Jerry

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

The Narrative reports and Family Group Sheet buttons are under Commands, Reports.

See the Customizing the Toolbar article in Help.

#11 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks very much.  I've gotten the different report buttons on my toolbar, very helpful.  If anyone can give me any advice on my sources question at all, it would be much appreciated.  I know I must be missing something major.

TIA

Michelle

#12 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

... I'm having trouble figuring out why some sources, such as censuses, are importing very well, and others not as well?  For example, for a few unpublished manuscripts, RM is picking up my fields for Title and Publish Date, but not Author? Also missing, e.g., [SUBJECT] and other fields on many vital records.  

Working with lots of complex source templates, and interchanging between TMG and RM is going to give you lots to learn. I use only one template with any regularity, which was a personal choice to limit my confusion. Other RM users are very particular about finding the most appropriate template for each of their source references. That's a very thorough and exacting interpretation of "sourcing" that I prefer to sidestep.

Anyway, you probably know that all source templates are constructed on a set of fields. Different fields are included in different templates. Since I have not done a TMG to RM transfer, I have no idea how RM maps the TMG templates into the RM templates. But I'm wondering if you go to a blank RM database, create a set of source templates matching the template name and fields of your TMG file, and THEN do the TMG import, will that help?

#13 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

Thanks, interesting.  I'll try that. In the meantime, your suggestion about starting with a blank db reminded me. Did RM come with a sample db that I missed?  Sorry if I've missed something obvious about downloading one to play around with, but I do think it would help me to play around with one. Webinars have also been a great help.

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

There isn't a sample database to download, but, you might find it helpful to create a new database and do some entry from scratch in it.

#15 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:21 PM

Working with lots of complex source templates, and interchanging between TMG and RM is going to give you lots to learn. I use only one template with any regularity, which was a personal choice to limit my confusion. Other RM users are very particular about finding the most appropriate template for each of their source references. That's a very thorough and exacting interpretation of "sourcing" that I prefer to sidestep.

Anyway, you probably know that all source templates are constructed on a set of fields. Different fields are included in different templates. Since I have not done a TMG to RM transfer, I have no idea how RM maps the TMG templates into the RM templates. But I'm wondering if you go to a blank RM database, create a set of source templates matching the template name and fields of your TMG file, and THEN do the TMG import, will that help?

Thanks again.  In TMG, many custom items, such as reports, sources, etc., once added exist only for a single project.  Am I right in guessing you mean to try adding a custom source template in a sample database, then importing my TMG db into a separate new db, where that custom template will automatically exist?

And conversely, that, once created, any custom source template, once created, will exist across all projects, until I delete it?  Just want to be sure I understand how powerful these templates are before I start creating some.

Thanks, Laura, have created a sample db, and it's definitely helping!

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:50 PM

A user defined source template is permanent in the database and available to use create new master sources from unless you delete it.

They can be exported and imported into another database on the Source template screen.  And, you can import them into another database by choosing File, Import files in the new database. Choose the database to import from and choose Source templates.

To export them in a gedcom, choose RootsMagic specific when exporting the gedcom.

In Help, read the Creating a new source template and Source template language articles.  Some of the info in the Sentence template language article also applies.

#17 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

Thanks again, Laura. I admit I wasn't making much progress editing more in TMG , and so abandoned that to get the imports done and get on with cleaning up in RM.

I've only just started seriously cleaning up my sources imported from TMG, and already finding a custom source may usually be the best way to go? Example: how to source a newspaper for a span of years?  I'm trying to follow EE as closely as possible, and want to create a single newspaper print source for one newspaper for which I have over 100 years of articles, obits, etc.  I had hoped to use the RM standard newspaper print source template, but how to deal with the span?

EE shows the span of years covered in biblio entry, such as:

Kansas.  Burlingame. Burlingame Enterprise. 1897-1910.  (EE's p. 807)

It appears the best route will be to copy the std template, and edit the custom newspaper to move the "examined" field up into the main source somehow. The range of years would then have to adjusted periodically "manually," to cover all citations.  Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Michelle

#18 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

The Master source is for the part of the source that does not change like a newspaper name, newspaper location, publisher, range of dates the newspaper was published, etc.

The Source Details are for the part of the source that pinpoints which issue to find a specific article, date, Volume, page, column, article name, etc.

If you change a Master source it changes it everywhere the Master source is linked in the database.

The Issue Date field hint for the Newspaper templates says "the date of the issue" which would be the date the article was published in the newspaper.

A range of dates for the time the newspaper was published in that field or a range of dates for which you have articles would not be very useful for finding that article.

The Newspaper, Print Edition template has a Source detail field, Issues Examined.  The hint says "the range of years of issues, all or scattered issues, etc.".   That entry prints after the newspaper name in the Bibliography section.  It doesn't print in the Footnote or Short footnote sections.

If I was going to create a user defined template that would be the field I would change to the Master source.  I would, perhaps, rewrite the Footnote sentence to print that field.

I would enter the range of dates the newspaper was being published in that field if I used it.

To keep tract of newspaper years and issues  I have checked, I will create a Research log for the paper.

Experiment in a Play database until you are sure what template you want to use or how you want to construct a user defined template.  Make some entries and see how the source prints in reports.

#19 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

That worked perfectly.  I did try in my sample db first.  In a copy of the Newspaper print template, I only removed the checkmark designating the "Examined" field a detail field. I hadn't realized it was already formatted in the biblio only. Now I can use that field for the range of years. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: excluded, sensitive, The Master Genealogist