6 replies to this topic

#1 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

When I exit RM, I am prompted to save a backup. If I eneter a backup file name that has already been created, I am not given the opportunity to specify a new file name because when I cancel on the Overwrite Backup File Name window, the program exits. There is no chance to specify a new file name for the backup. Is this a known issue?

Joyce

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

I would expect RM to close. If I didn't want to overwrite an existing backup name, I would have entered a different name in the Backup file name box already.

RM automatically gives a backup a name consisting of the Database name and date if Add date to backup file is selected at Tools, Program options.

I add the time using the 24 hour format to the backup name.

When making multiple backups on the same day, each backup then has a different name. And, I can easily tell which backup was the last one.

#3 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

I would expect RM to close. If I didn't want to overwrite an existing backup name, I would have entered a different name in the Backup file name box already.

RM automatically gives a backup a name consisting of the Database name and date if Add date to backup file is selected at Tools, Program options.

I add the time using the 24 hour format to the backup name.

When making multiple backups on the same day, each backup then has a different name. And, I can easily tell which backup was the last one.

Thanks Laura. I already do that but if I inadvertantly enter a name that already exists I don't have an opportunity to change it and then do the backup. The Date is already added to the backup name but when I run multiple backups in one day, I append -01, -02, -03, etc. after the date. So if I have already backed up a file with the date and -02 for example, and I enter -02 after the date I am prompted whether to overwrite the backup or cancel. At this point I want the ability to change the backup to -03 and then create the backup. But I doi not have a chance as RM exits when I click on the Cancel button.

Joyce

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

That is why I use the time on 24 hour format instead of 1, 2, 3 etc.

No duplicate file names. Glance down at the rime on the computer and enter the time into the name. I don't need to keep up with what the last number was.

0132 or 0132a
1332 or 0132p

I could use 12 hour format with a or p instead of 24 hour format.

Sorts by database name, date, time in Windows Explorer.

#5 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:01 AM

As I see it, the back up function is working exactly as it should.  When you select cancel overwrite, you have just told the program that you do not want to run the backup.  The program then exits from the back up function.

#6 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

As I see it, the back up function is working exactly as it should.  When you select cancel overwrite, you have just told the program that you do not want to run the backup.  The program then exits from the back up function.

That is all fine. But if I enter the wrong backup name inadvertantly I do not have an option to change it and try again. When I cancel the overwrite I am telling RM that I want the chance to use a different backupname. The program just exits. It would be nice if RM generated a backup name to include the Time along with the Date.That would solve this issue once and for all.

Joyce

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

If you use File>Backup the program won't close if you hit cancel when you try not to overwrite a file with the same name. The prompt when closing the program will do exactly that. It's what it was designed to do. So maybe getting into the habit of using File>Backup before attempting to close the program would help if you need to make frequent backups on the same day.

Confirming enhancement request to include the time with the date as an option for the backup file name is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic