• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raycer

Raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:47 AM

I have developed some large wall charts and found a printer in the UK who can print off a roll up to 44 inches wide. These are a great visual tool for family gatherings - but so very time consuming to produce in usable format, as the system produces a chart 10-20 feet wide!

These are some of the challenges I face and would welcome any advice on how to solve them please!

- Media images - what file size and shape should I use to ensure that the image selected fills the space in the box?  Most come out tiny whatever their resolution.

- Fields - there is no option to add fields for 'Suffix' or 'Nickname' 

- Box size - can be altered when preparing the report, but there is no command to allow the boxes to expand from a standard size to fit the text - so many have to be adjusted manually.  If you select a large box size - the reverse is true and the report becomes ever larger.

- The lines that link boxes are unstable and it is very hard to get them to 'line up' again after moving boxes.  When you move a box, the lines hop all over the place and have to be individually dragged back.  This is a very tedious process in large charts that need lots of tinkering!

ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME - THANKS

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

- Media images - what file size and shape should I use to ensure that the image selected fills the space in the box?  Most come out tiny whatever their resolution.

I don't have a set criteria. The image is not very large. If you use the best quality you have it will only reduce it to fit the chart so play with it.

-Fields - there is no option to add fields for 'Suffix' or 'Nickname'

In the Wall Chart Report Settings under "Data to Include" there is a field for the "Name Format" at the very top. Clicking on it will give a drop down list of options. Prefix Given Surname Suffix is there.

- Box size - can be altered when preparing the report, but there is no command to allow the boxes to expand from a standard size to fit the text - so many have to be adjusted manually.  If you select a large box size - the reverse is true and the report becomes ever larger.

That is a balance you will have to achieve. If the program could allow to expand the boxes to fit text you will always have some boxes not needing that space on everyone.

- The lines that link boxes are unstable and it is very hard to get them to 'line up' again after moving boxes.  When you move a box, the lines hop all over the place and have to be individually dragged back.  This is a very tedious process in large charts that need lots of tinkering!

Yes, that is one of the reasons we are working on rewriting the charting program inside RootsMagic. If you use View>Grid it will help in making sure things are lining up.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Raycer

Raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for your comprehensive response Renee.

I have played with image size files - the only way to make the image fill the space is to adjust the box size. [one for the new program?]

I have sorted the nickname - surprised it shows with the suffix, which is perfect.

The best news is that a new Wall Chart program is under way - I am an extensive user of this report and look forward to the enhancements.

Thanks again - Raymond [London UK]