8 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Had my my DNA done at 23andme. I selected DNA as a fact, selected mtDNA. I am not sure how to enter my results. When I download my raw results, there are pages & pages of data. Exactly what I am I supposed to look for in my results to enter into RM7?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

Haven't seen one of these DNA reports personally, but doesn't the RM Help entry give enough pointers. It does show some sample data entries.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

See the DNA test mtDNA article in Help.

Since the results entered into the results form doesn't print anywhere in RM and are not searchable, you may also want the results entered in the DNA fact note so the results will print in a report and be searchable.  I would privatize the note.

Exporting a gedcom or doing drag and drop doesn't include the DNA test fact even if Gedcom is checked on the Fact type list.  This prevents inadvertently sharing that very private sensitive information.

#4 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

Mervyn,

it shows a pic of the form but only shows the blanks. In total there are blanks for 30 entries. DNA results would fill far more than 30 blanks. In the help menu it show numbers ending with a letter, my results are not like that so I am confused as to how & what to enter.

Laura,

Good suggestion. Thank you

#5 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

Had my my DNA done at 23andme. I selected DNA as a fact, selected mtDNA. I am not sure how to enter my results. When I download my raw results, there are pages & pages of data. Exactly what I am I supposed to look for in my results to enter into RM7?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Susie,

I believe RootsMagic only supports mtDNA and y-DNA tests. If I'm not mistaken, 23andMe is an autosomal DNA test. 

Larry

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:52 PM

Yes, 23andMe is an autosomal DNA test which is not supported in the DNA test fact in RootsMagic.

https://customercare...icles/202908000

#7 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

Thank you Larry & Laura. Will have to put the autosomal DNA info on the RM wishlist. :-)

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

Confirming the support for autosomal DNA in RootsMagic is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Susieqk - the only bit of mtDNA info that 23andme provides that can be subsequently entered into RootsMagic is your haplogroup; likewise for Y DNA haplogroup from 23andme if you are a male.   I don't think that it will ever be feasible for one to enter ones autosomal DNA results in something like Rootsmagic since it is megabytes to gigabytes in size, and does not make much sense to most people as provided.

Haplogroups however are different:  mtDNA haplogroups are determined by discrepancies between your mito DNA and that of a person who was used for what is known as CRS (Cambridge Reference Sequence).  See http://www.mitomap.o...AP/HumanMitoSeq  For example, my H6A1 haplogroup has minor mutations in HVR1 and HVR2 (hypervariable regions) that are distinct from CRS, as well as several more in HVR3.  These HVR regions are not given in 23andme data and are "derived" using other high-powered tools by 23andme.

I have had mtDNA and Y DNA done by other companies (not 23andme), so am able to enter the relevant mutations/differences for each.

I can post images if interested.

Edited by NickGC, 02 July 2015 - 06:44 PM.