4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:47 AM

I find that adding a misc.person is handy as when you add a new person, RM throws up the question do you want to use the already existing one on file.Then you check and find that it is or not one and the same.

This observation and enhancement request has come out of another thread which was started by DRMPiper and a subsequent quote from Lighthouse regarding the existing routine that throws up a possible duplicate person which may already exist in the file.

Whilst this routine is a great idea it is not informative enough, especially on large databases, to be trusted. Just displaying the birth and death (when they are available) and not the other information available leads me to just enter the new person and compare later. If I get distracted from that task then I will have a possible duplicate in my file.

I would suggest this process is enhanced to provide all information that exists on the person already in the file so that users can make a more informed decision of similarities.

rootsmagic-possible-duplicate.jpg

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 nastrond

nastrond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:49 AM

Confirming that this would be a most welcome addition, particularly for those of us with very large databases focusing on specific names such as my ONS.

Too many duplicates currently due to the current minimal display for duplicates  :unsure:

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

In addition to the above when I am entering an individual based on new information and RM does flag the possible existing individual with enough information for me to be sure they are the same it is logical (to me) that I would then wish to edit the existing individual and add the ne0w information.

At present I need to remember or note the existing individual, select cancel and navigate to them again to add the new information, this is a counter productive workflow. Therefore please add an EDIT button so the individual already existant in the database can be opened for edit.

is-this-person-already-in-your-file.png

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

Renee
RootsMagic